Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Calling with Axs and suited connectors

if you are at the button, and someoene who is full stacked raises before you to 4xBB, how do you play your Ace-small suited and suited connectors?
What if there is a raise and two calls?

I prefer (raising 25% and calling 75%) when I'm against one opponent, and (calling 100%) when there's one other caller. I'm never folding.. only if he's not full stacked. Also if there are 150BBs or more in his stack I'll raise 50%-call50%, and over 200BB ill raise 75% and call 25%.

Is this standard?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Calling with Axs and suited connectors

Im asking this because I just saw a GreenPlastic video from CR where he insta folded A5s on the button when someone opened for 4xBB and someone called before him, and both were over 100bb deep. It strikes me as unusual no?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Totally depends how you play after the flop and how they play after the flop.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have some standard line.. I hate it how any poker question can be answered by "it depends" while still seeming inteligent and helpfull.

I described a pretty specific situation, and given you have no reads on any players, how would you play it (pre-flop).

Assume you dont have any "plan" like "raise any flop" etc. On the flop you will play it based on what cards came out and what they did next..
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 PM

as far as standard line, i would say two conditions must exist before you call... first, you must be in position, and second, you need good odds...i.e at least 1 other caller. otherwise, i would say that calling with these types of hands is spew.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have some standard line.. I hate it how any poker question can be answered by "it depends" while still seeming inteligent and helpfull.

I described a pretty specific situation, and given you have no reads on any players, how would you play it (pre-flop).

Assume you dont have any "plan" like "raise any flop" etc. On the flop you will play it based on what cards came out and what they did next..

[/ QUOTE ]

...really?

I usually have a plan and then I adjust it for what cards come out not the other way around.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:24 PM

For example I would feel more comfortable calling with a marginal hand like 56s, A7s if my image at the table and this opponent would allow me to take the hand away after the flop if I missed or if my opponent was not very good postflop.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example I would feel more comfortable calling with a marginal hand like 56s, A7s if my image at the table and this opponent would allow me to take the hand away after the flop if I missed or if my opponent was not very good postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like your reasoning, but i question the profitability of this type of approach. when playing vs. known regs... i think it's good approach, particularly when there's actually thinking involved during a hand. when multi tabling vs. a wide variety of fish, i'm not so sure. i'm concerned that too often you'll run into an opponent who just won't know any better, in which case even your approach may turn out to be spew.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are at the button, and someoene who is full stacked raises before you to 4xBB, how do you play your Ace-small suited and suited connectors?
What if there is a raise and two calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. A 4-bet gets you some dead money but your hand has some good implied odds so why not play it.
[ QUOTE ]

I prefer (raising 25% and calling 75%) when I'm against one opponent, and (calling 100%) when there's one other caller. I'm never folding.. only if he's not full stacked. Also if there are 150BBs or more in his stack I'll raise 50%-call50%, and over 200BB ill raise 75% and call 25%.

Is this standard?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think that is a good idea, you have to take his posistion and stats into consideration. If he is raising UTG I am more inclined to call then to raise and if hes a 16/10 I raise more seldomly. Also dont 4-bet w/ suited aces, they do not have the same value as suited connectors in re-raised pots. Your opponent has you dominated more often if u play a suited ace then if u play a suited connector.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 PM

If he is the type of player to raise wide but call narrow, then I will re-raise him with most sc and most suited aces. If he is the type of player to raise pretty narrow and will likely call any raise, but also be too attached to top pair type hands, then I will call with most any sc and sa. If he is a very solid player, that doesnt raise particularily wide, and wont pay off a flush for 20x his raise, then I wont call with dominated aces or suited connectors. If he is a pretty weak player, who doesnt payoff very well, but also plays very predictably, betting where he has it and checking where he doesnt, then I will call with most of these cards again, not looking to mine for the monster but looking to blow him off his hand enough of the time to warrant a call from position. With a raise and two calls, if the players all have sufficiently deep stacks, then a call behind on the button with any cards that can make monsters is usually a pretty safe play.

4card