Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Online Poker as your part time job!!!

Many players want to earn money playing poker..some even want to be pros. What I am looking for are people who either are pros, or use their earnings to help pay bills/buy things...
It started out as me needing a part time job along with my full time job....like delivering pizzas or something like that....but I decided to play poker to see if i could do it.
So ive been doing it for 8 months or so and I earn normally around 1000 per month..i have had 0 months, and i have won 2000 or more, but on average its been 1000 per month.
How do you go about using parts of it? Do you withdraw a set % of your wins each month? Do you withdraw a certain amount? Or do you let it build for lets say 3 months and then withdraw a larger chunk!
Any ideas on budgeting these poker earnings would be great.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Online Poker as your part time job!!!

As long as you keep 500BB (limit) for the level your playing you can withdrawl the profits and still play comfortably. I dont play NL but im guessing it's 50 buy ins to play comfortably, no? When you do withdrawl, just make sure you have enough money to play comfortably.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Umm...

1. Determine how much money you need to be properly rolled for whatever stakes you play.

2. Withdraw the excess on a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly basis.

3. Repeat.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM

50 buyins in quite a lot. If your playing 1/2nl thats 5K. Thats definitely more than you would need. I normally keep 25 buyins, and thats on the safe side. I cant imagine you being good player and losing 25 buyins, let alone 50.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:13 PM

Its usually 20 Buy ins for NL.
Anyone budget their earnings for the month...10% spending..60% bankroll...30% debt repayment?
ANy other budget ideas since it is a variable income and you always would like to build you bankroll and move up.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 PM

ok thanks guys, like I said I dont play NL at all, only limit. I play using the 500BB rule. I am seeing around 20-25 buy-ins to be standard. learned something new today, thx [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Humbled,

Even 500bb for limit is an awful lot. 300bb is the rule of thumb. There's worse problems than being overrolled though.

OP,

Yeah, I did this for a while when I was looking for permanent work after law school. I just took it out as I needed it and tried to think a few weeks ahead to allow for for check lag. I actually wouldn't reccomend this but there were times that I was really in need of the money. I ended up playing way underrolled (like 125bb) but i'm a pretty consistent winner so I wasn't super worried. If you can afford it just set a number for your BR and take out any excess.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:03 PM

My personal compromise between building a roll to move up in limits, and getting some immediate benefit out of the money:

at the end of the month, total up how much is in my poker accounts;
if this is a new record-high balance, withdraw half of the difference between the current balance and the previous peak to my regular bank account; the other half goes towards moving up in limits.
if not, it all stays in the poker account.

Obviously this approach is only an option if you are not relying on poker for any portion of your regular monthly bills.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:07 PM

NL buy ins is based on the stakes...because the more agro game you play/your opponets play the bigger vaiance you get.

20 buy ins for NL 25 is PLENTY!

20 buy ins for NL10/20 is NOT ENOUGH!!

But I'm guessing you're more likely to need 20-35 buy ins than the 50 required for 10/20.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:11 PM

I keep 25 buyins for the stakes im comfortable playing. Just withdraw any excess of 25 buyins monthly. Play where your comfortable.