Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM

Default My friend sucks at college.

Hey OOT,

My friend has a problem with college. Let's call my friend Royally Focked and he is 20 years old. He attended StonyBrook for the Fall 2006 semester but dropped the semester and his slate was wiped clean.

He then attended CW Post in Spring 2007 counting as his first semester in college. His financial aid fell through due to whatever reason (stupid income verification sheet and its nit-pickingness) and he finished the semester expecing to owe $4,000. However, he really ended up owing $10,000 after loans and grants fell through.

If anyone wants to know, his GPA for that semester was 2.83 after doing very little work. He says his attitude has changed for future semesters and so will his work ethic. Though, only time will tell.

He tried to transfer to St. John's University yesterday but as I advised him previously, his official academic transcript is under lock and key until he pays his $10,000 debt to CW Post. He wants to transfer out of CW Post as he went there to become a Pharmacist and has since decided against that. Counting pills and talking to old people all day FTL !

Right now he has no plan but I suggested something of the following: get his credit worthy parent to co-sign a loan and pay off the $10,000 debt to CW Post. Then transfer to Queens college for a few semesters and then transfer to St. John's University. Or just straight transfer to St. John's University after paying off the debt.

He just asked me if he could just not apply for FAFSA for this upcoming school year and then admit at Queen's College (inexpensive City school about $4,000-5,000 a year) attempting to dodge his $10,000 debt from CW Post. By doing so he would start fresh in college as a true freshman.

Is this even possible? Is this last option actually the best route to take?

Help my friend OOT !
Old 07-17-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: My friend sucks at college.

not paying a debt is just stupid at his age. it will make ever getting a mortgage, car loan, education loan, etc. close to impossible.

get his parents to co-sign and pay that loan and reapply.
starting over as a freshman will probably cost more than paying the debt in the long run.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM

I would think his previous $10k debt to the school would show up during his FAFSA application, so tell him to man up and get it taken care of
Old 07-17-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Counting pills and talking to old people all day FTL !

[/ QUOTE ]

And getting paid more than 99% of the population makes pharmacy a FTW if you ask me.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And getting paid more than 99% of the population makes pharmacy a FTW if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of what population? People that weren't smart enough to go to business school?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM

wait, what?

smart.. business school..

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM

In the spirit of the OP's title..

My friend had to do an MC exam and didn't study. But he had 'the perfect scam' set up - he had a buddy text him the answers. Of course, he couldn't just sit there until the other guy left, then fill in his scan tron and leave, so he first tried to answer the questions himself, using common sense and prior knowledge. Then he went to the john and wrote the answers on his hand.

Some of his buddy's answers surprised him, but he figured w/e he studied I didn't. The next day the answer key gets published on the net. Turns out he would have pretty much aced it with his own answers, but now most likely failed (final curve not known yet).

Not only that, it was one of his last re-sits. And it wasn't hard - he skipped the initial exam to study for a more difficult one. He was going to graduate this summer. Now he isn't.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

99% of what population? People that weren't smart enough to go to business school?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahahahahhahahahah.

Wait...

hahahahahahahahah