Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Default 520 $5.50 sng stats-time to move up

For a few months I have been playing the NLHE 5.50 10 seat sngs at UB. I usually multi table 3 or 4 games continuously. I wrote down all the finishes and today I finally put them into excel to get ITM, ROI, etc. After seeing the stats I'm sure its time to move up to the $10s.
Is there much of a difference in difficulty in the 10s? How about the 10s from the 20s? I also have been debating leaving UB (cashout problems, terrible customer service). What site do u think has the loosest sngs?

520 games
ITM: 38.7%
ROI: 18.3%
Profit: $514
Old 05-24-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Re: 520 $5.50 sng stats-time to move up

If you have 750-1000 in your roll you should be fine to move up, as long as you are prepared to move back down if it doesn't start off to well.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM

100 buy-ins at low level sng's is considered to be a good, but a bit conservative bankroll for stt's. Keeping 100 buy-ins at a level is not always done because of how good or bad the player is, it is done to compensate for the variance that even the best poker players encounter. In your specific case, it looks like you know what you're doing: not a lot of early finishes, seems like ur busting out when you should be because of blind stealing, and your itm is 1st or 3rd, which is desirable because of the top-heavy(im assuming 50/30/20, but im not sure how UB works) payouts. This being said, perhaps you should try easing into the 10's. try starting your session with 1/2 10's and 1/2 5's. This will allow you to increase your average buy-in without being at a very high risk of losing your bankroll due to a bad string of cards/beats. If things go well, and your BR gets up a little, start playing all 10's. If things get ugly, you will not have put a terrible dent in your roll, and you will still be able to drop down to the 5's and not be very worried about a variance-induced busto. Also, for future reference, in order to have a rough idea of what your roi at a level will be, you need a 2k+ game sample size. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have 750-1000 in your roll you should be fine to move up, as long as you are prepared to move back down if it doesn't start off to well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin, looks like you wrote an abstract, or executive summary if you will, to my post.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Lol, if you hit reply when my post wasn't there that makes it even better.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol, if you hit reply when my post wasn't there that makes it even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it is indeed, even better.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100 buy-ins at low level sng's is considered to be a good, but a bit conservative bankroll for stt's. Keeping 100 buy-ins at a level is not always done because of how good or bad the player is, it is done to compensate for the variance that even the best poker players encounter. In your specific case, it looks like you know what you're doing: not a lot of early finishes, seems like ur busting out when you should be because of blind stealing, and your itm is 1st or 3rd, which is desirable because of the top-heavy(im assuming 50/30/20, but im not sure how UB works) payouts. This being said, perhaps you should try easing into the 10's. try starting your session with 1/2 10's and 1/2 5's. This will allow you to increase your average buy-in without being at a very high risk of losing your bankroll due to a bad string of cards/beats. If things go well, and your BR gets up a little, start playing all 10's. If things get ugly, you will not have put a terrible dent in your roll, and you will still be able to drop down to the 5's and not be very worried about a variance-induced busto. Also, for future reference, in order to have a rough idea of what your roi at a level will be, you need a 2k+ game sample size. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for response. Unfortunately my roll is only at 300 now. I just made a withdrawal for $500 before I decided to move up. I think I will bring it up to around 400 before I start to ease in to the 10s. Then I will probably start sessions at the 5s and play 10s if I am up. I definitely do not want to go busto because I don't know how I can even deposit now (last/first deposit 2 yrs ago). Any thoughts on the sng difficulty between different sites? I have always played at UB and am starting to get fed up with them. I think the only reason I stay there is because I love the interface.