Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Calling with a suited ace...

I play in a NL homegame, 5/10 blinds, 500 buy in. its a pretty tightish game...a couple wild players may buy in for 5k, but most for never more than 2k. most games are O8/HE/Pineapple etc.

Anyway, I'm on a semi rush, up around 1500, and deal high only five card omaha.
I deal myself A-4-6-6-J, with a suited ace. I almost always play suited aces. Everyone limps, including myself, and then the BB, very aggressive/semi maniac, raises $50 more. gets three callers. I, for some reason, fold. BTW, SB is extremely tight - no chance for reraise.

Questions: What is my EV with this type of hand against 4 players?

Should any suited ace be played in Omaha for a small raise? In our game, $50 isn't huge, but when people call it means they have something. Many pots are unraised preflop.

The reason, of course, why I'm asking this question, is because the flop was AA4, turn J, river 5. Lead bettor bet 75 of flop, fish called. 300 on turn, fish folded.

Even though I had a nice win, this fold really bugs me. Am I just being results oriented?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Calling with a suited ace...

If the players are really bad and you are good and you are playing fairly deep, you can call here in position. It doesn't sound like this is the case so no, you should fold many suited aces.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:24 PM

No-Limit 5-card Omaha?....sounds like that could get a little crazy...
Old 10-19-2006, 09:10 PM

I'd call a small bet in position, yes. But you dont want to over commit to the pot

Also 5-card NLO? Action station
Old 10-19-2006, 10:50 PM

I will call a small raise with a suited ace if there is a pair involved. If you are talking omaha split, I would need at least a three to go with it.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:05 PM

For the naked suited ace its simply a matter of do they pay off with the smaller flush? How much/often? Do I make a flush often enough and they have the flush and they pay me off and the board doesnt pair often enough is the question? If they are reasonable they should adjust to never putting in any money with a non nut flush in the 5-card variant due to the increased prob % of the nut flush being out there.

Raise sizes are only relative to stack sizes, if they pay off, then you can be looser with your ranges. In light of this you also have to think about playing trap hands and letting yourself get stacked off. The AA4 hand which ill discuss below is pretty close to textbook example of the nuts that is barely a coinflip and you'll only get the money in when your opponent outdraws you.

A466J in NL 5 card omaha is like playing 72 suited cause its suited.

something like a AA4 flop where u have A466J you are going to be barely 55% against Axxxx where xxxx > 4. Again this depends on your edge in your hand reading for not giving them implied odds in these hands. But you want to avoid these situations.

In general in this game context, if your going to fold to a 50 raise u should never limp from early position with any hand. With those stacks a raise of 50 is no different to a limp really.