Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: WOW, PETA people really are crazy!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"The question I've quoted above implies that if you will force others to conform to your values, they must be objective. I think this is an invalid argument."

To clarify, I think trying to convince a person that your morals are correct implies objective morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Convincing somebody that your morals are better (by whatever metric) is not appealing to objective morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Convincing somebody of anything appeals to a premise that is true to both parties. Good luck in appealing to your subjective morality as the arbiter of true or better morality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong again. You are pretty much batting .000 in terms of your understanding of logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Explained like a true Sophist.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: WOW, PETA people really are crazy!

People accept making a law of "murder is wrong" for fear of being murdered yourself. Hunting people isnt allowed because I dont want it allowed and you dont want it allowed, both of us want it for our own safety and selfish reasons.

Hunting animals causes hunters lot's of pleasure and excitement, I don't hunt, but since I wont get hurt etc. I am indifferent towards a law permitting hunting. That's why if you apply game theory in both cases, you see why we allow one and not the other. If some dogs were intelligent AND in control of society (power to vote) then killing dogs would be forbidden. Note that EVEN if they are intelligent and conscieous but not in control of laws, they can be killed, such as jews in germany ww2, black slaves, etc.