Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Has anyone around here had their tonsils out?

I have been getting bad sore throats. I am thinking about getting my tonsils out. My next app with my ENT is coming up.

How bad is it? Has anyone had them out and gotten rid of sore throats?

Any storys?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Has anyone around here had their tonsils out?

I've had mine out and it wasn't bad at all...much like a bad sore throat for a couple of days.
My understanding is that once you have them out you are more likely to catch colds, but that hasn't really happened to me. I wouldn't have them out unless there is good reason to. Try to find other reasons that might be causing you to get sick first(stress, poor nutrition, etc) before going the surgical route.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been getting bad sore throats. I am thinking about getting my tonsils out. My next app with my ENT is coming up.

Any storys?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get sore throats so you diagnose yourself as having tonsilitis and prescribed surgery for yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Any storys?

[/ QUOTE ]

You get sore throats so you diagnose yourself as having tonsilitis and prescribed surgery for yourself? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL no.

As you can see in my text I said my NEXT ENT appointment is coming up. I have been to him 3 times and he has already talked about it with me before.

I have had problems with them on and off since i was a child.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM

see now this is info that would have better in your original post
Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Well if you keep getting tonsilitis then you should probably have them out. It's no big deal at all. Haven't you ever seen the old Brady Bunch where Bobby has them out or Leave It to Beaver where Beaver has them out? It wasn't even a big deal getting them out in the 50s.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you keep getting tonsilitis then you should probably have them out. It's no big deal at all. Haven't you ever seen the old Brady Bunch where Bobby has them out or Leave It to Beaver where Beaver has them out? It wasn't even a big deal getting them out in the 50s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it I do remember that Brady Bunch episode. I have heard that some people just have a sore throat for a few days afterwords. I have also heard of some people who have problems have problems healing after they have them out. One lady I talked to said her scab broke and they had to go back in and burn the flesh back together again!

Thanx for replying.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:10 PM

My ex-girlfriend recently had hers out. She had a really really hard time with it and was in a lot of pain for about 3 weeks. There are some forums somewhere that will give you a better idea, but what I came away with is that adult tonsillectomy is a serious surgery not at all like the typical procedure for children. Don't take it lightly. Something else to consider...she also came down with oropharangyl stenosis after the surgery which is when the scar tissue builds up heavily and hardens, permanently narrowing the air passage.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My ex-girlfriend recently had hers out. She had a really really hard time with it and was in a lot of pain for about 3 weeks. There are some forums somewhere that will give you a better idea, but what I came away with is that adult tonsillectomy is a serious surgery not at all like the typical procedure for children. Don't take it lightly. Something else to consider...she also came down with oropharangyl stenosis after the surgery which is when the scar tissue builds up heavily and hardens, permanently narrowing the air passage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, does she get short of breath while exercising now??
How does that effect her daily life now?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 PM

It was absolute hell for me, and I've broken nearly every bone there is, and still have a couple of plates in me. Of course my tonsils were the worst that my doctor had even seen, and he was surprised that I could even breath. I was coughing up blood for a couple of weeks, basically I couldn't sleep because swallowing / breathing was too painful, couldn't eat anything, and could barely handle water. But of course, mine was an extreme circumstance...