Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Being there for the Birth.

I considered posting this in OOT, but I think that it would mostly generate a bunch of adolescent rubbish responses, and a good deal of the posters there are too young to have thought about this subject or have been affected by it.

The subject is being present for the birth of your child. Now, quite frankly, nobody is ever going to get me in that room. That's been my position from day one and I'm sticking with it. I can't imagine anything worse than going through that. The friends I have that have done it always say that it was the best experience of their lives, but you can see the high levels of trauma behind their eyes.

A few have admitted to me that it has effected their sex life. They can't get the image out of their heads of a raw and bloody childbirth. They won't admit this to their significant others, and they will deny ever having said it, but it is there.

It seems that dragging the man in to attend the birth became fashionable around 15-20 years ago, right around the time that political correctness and SNAG's and what-not began to appear. Before that we just sat it out at the pub with our mates. Now I'm not saying that the pub angle is the way to go, (although it has its attractions,) but I'm not hip with being in the room while all hell breaks loose down there.

And the primary reason is that the woman has natural ways to deal with it. She gets a huge natural endorphin or something or other release that gets her through the event. I mean, if girls didn't get that and remembered every excruciating detail, they sure wouldn't want to go back and do it again, would they? But we don't get any natural chemical release to get us through it. Nope, we've got to stand there like a stoic, holding her hand while she screams through the roof. Doesn't sound like I'd forget that in a hurry.

So, any of you who've been through the experience, what did you really think? Was it the greatest moment of your life as I hear brandied about, or do you still break into a cold sweat at just the thought of it? And what about you swinging eligible bachelors here on the El D forum? Are you willing to go through with that? Do you want to? Or would you only do it because you were pressured into it?