Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: need to find heroin detox in la

Methadone withdrawal actually can last a month or more. Heroin withdrawal will last a week--maybe a little more.

Suboxone is a great drug for opioid users. It blocks the brains desire for the drug as well as offsetting a good portion of the withdrawal symptoms. You'll still get the muscle aches and a little sickness but it's doable that way. Since you said she's been to rehab, she probably knows about Suboxone.

If a person is going to quit, they'll ultimately have to do it themselves. All the rehab in the world won't matter to a a person if they don't truly want to quit.

just my two cents.

cheers,
Benny
Old 11-24-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If someone is going to keep taking opiates forever, Methadone is the least destructive. If they are going to be coming off of opiates at some time, then Methadone is a terrible choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think methadone might be the worst solution for this girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methadone is most definitely NOT the answer (unless the question is "What's the worst possible way to get off of heroin").

edit: Methadone withdrawal can take weeks (as opposed to a few days for heroin withdrawal). If someone is going to keep taking opiates forever, Methadone is the least destructive. If they are going to be coming off of opiates at some time, then Methadone is a terrible choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, everyone should refrain from saying what it best or worst for this person. She needs to get to a treatment center and THEY will help her.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks for your help though (lol).

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, I am trying to help. I've been there.

So, you spend the money for 4-5 days in detox, she gets released, stays clean for a bit, then she shoots up, snorts, smokes, or whatever again, and where are you? Exactly where you are today.

That's the way opiate addiction works. I take it this isn't the first time you've seen this pattern, right?

What is your goal with going just detox?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there some special sort of LA dope that permits you to kick in 4-5 days?

If there is, I'd like to go on record as actively reconsidering my "absolutely-no-heroin-under-any-circumstances" rule.

Now it just seems silly.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think methadone might be the worst solution for this girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Methadone is most definitely NOT the answer (unless the question is "What's the worst possible way to get off of heroin").

edit: Methadone withdrawal can take weeks (as opposed to a few days for heroin withdrawal). If someone is going to keep taking opiates forever, Methadone is the least destructive. If they are going to be coming off of opiates at some time, then Methadone is a terrible choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, everyone should refrain from saying what it best or worst for this person. She needs to get to a treatment center and THEY will help her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated.

Methadone has been (perhaps rightfully) demonized. While the kick is longer when the time comes (I remember kicking an 80 mg maintenance habit after "tapering" down to 15 mg and being shocked that I was still just as sick on day twenty as I was on day ten), but it allows the junkie to function a HELL of a lot better and without the constant risk of arrest when they're an active opioid addict.

That said, I would never use Methadone if I were to wake up strung out again. My last (and FINAL) kick, I just got a case of Gatorade and a bunch of Klonodine, and locked myself away. Ten days, turned inside out, and sure, I felt like I had fallen down a flight of stairs, but I didn't feel, uh, that other way anymore.

Good luck with your friend.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily for your friend, heroin withdrawal will not kill you.

Ironically, the only withdrawal that has that possibility is alcohol, which is a legal drug. Go figure.

Good luck finding your girl a place to go, you might be best off calling your local narcotics anonymous chapter and asking for a place she can detox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to derail the thread, but just for clarification, withdrawal from many barbiturates can also cause death.

Good luck with your friend
Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Luckily for your friend, heroin withdrawal will not kill you.

Ironically, the only withdrawal that has that possibility is alcohol, which is a legal drug. Go figure.

Good luck finding your girl a place to go, you might be best off calling your local narcotics anonymous chapter and asking for a place she can detox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't want to derail the thread, but just for clarification, withdrawal from many barbiturates can also cause death.

Good luck with your friend

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever seen "I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can?" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084111/

Watch out for the benzos too, I guess.

The best rule of thumb is to avoid at all costs ever having to withdraw from anything, whether nicotine, gambling, dope, food, or relationships.

Take a walk in the park or at the beach. It's nice.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 PM

Does this girls first name start with an H?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Thinking more longterm. my bro was addicted to OC and has had great results using suboxin. It's somewhat of a new age methadone but much easier to wein off after a yr or so of sobriety
Old 11-24-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but she has hep c so...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hawt imo