Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Good interview with Barry G

Thanks for the insight Barry. 2+2 is lucky to have you posting.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:51 PM

I think Barry's thoughts on "other poor books" are colored by the fact that he hasn't read them [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also he may be confusing Sklansky's occasional weak-tight tournament play with the aggressive play advocated by 2+2.

If you want better examples of 2+2 style play check out Alex Jacob and all the other rocking kids who learned from The Program.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Barry:

I just spoke to Ray and he says that in the late 1970s he played as high as $1,000-$2,000 limit and up to $25,000 buy-in no-limit, and $10,000 buy-in no-limit all the time. I didn't get to know Ray until 1985, but in the late 1980s and early 1990s I use to sit behind him during WSOP side games when he played this big.

I can say the same for Dan. I once watched him get all-in for $25,000 (all his own money) in a WSOP side game around 1993 against Doc Earl.

By the way, I'm the one who qualifies as the lower limit grinder, not Ray or Dan.

MM
Old 07-06-2007, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My god this guy is an ugly mofo. Looks like a monkey/an ape. I guess the Asian chicks think all the "white" guys look the same. Barry realized long ago that its +EV to go after Asian tail. Smart guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got the film avatar. Nuff said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but at least I don't look like monkey slash ape. I bet Joe Sebok thanks God every day that he's adopted.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAN
Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, in the first edition of HPFAP which came out in 1988 we were critical of what we called "weak-tight" and popularized this expression among poker players. (I first heard this term from Ray Zee and also believe that it's appearance in our book was the first time it was put in print.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Long-time nit alert: The phrase "tight-weak" was used by A.J. Meyers in Biggest Game In Town, from '84. The concept was hardly a secret, even then.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What happened was I was new to town and I was told by my friend Tom Hood that Ray never sits in a bad game, so I used him as my guide to the live ones. Ray normally played 100-200, and so did I at the time. He certainly never looked to play with top players in the biggest games. Ray was a grinder, and one of the best at that.

Dan was very careful also. Neither of them qualify as big game players, nor did they try to.

Limit was in vogue at the commerce at the time. There were a couple of weeks where the game was changed to no-limit, which was my game. None of the players could really compete with me. It was one of the rare times I saw Ray and Dan off their feet. I pretty much broke all the live ones and made the prudent ones quit.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty [censored] sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

A+++ Barry your my hero.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 AM

Mason,

Instead of coming off as a defensive nit-baby, why don't you inform Ray of this thread and let him add his own thoughts?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:15 PM

It appears that someone else is posting using Barry G's account.

other thread in which pokulator says "sebok said this story is NOT true and that barry didn't write the first post."
Old 07-09-2007, 03:04 AM

Its early morning I log on to check 2p2 and I come upon this thread, which in turn leads me to Barry's website. I start checking the player analysis and literally ROFLMAO when I click on Hellmuth and hear his song. Roomate wakes up all WTF. Luckily he is a poker player and when he listened he fully understood and joined me. AHAHAHA