Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: My life is over.

First of all, your life is not over. You are having a midlife crisis just like every other man and many women your age. It sounds like you may be suffering from depression. You may want to get a check-up to rule out any physical or mental health issue that could easily be addressed by the proper medication.

OK, I am a woman, and I can tell you that some of the advice on this thread is bad. No decent self-respecting woman is going to get a full-time job to support a man playing cards all day. That's just ridiculous. I don't think you can expect that. To compound your problem, this lady may not be a decent woman. She sounds like a user. And she sounds bored, without inner resources, which is why she is unable to entertain herself without constantly pestering you.

In other words, I think you should throw her out. You can tell her, if she wants to stay in the condo, she has to get a job and pay half the bills, but I think she'll just pretend to look for a job and not really get one. So you'll still have her hanging around mooching until such time as she latches onto some other walking wallet. I don't see the advantage to you in stringing out the misery. So I say give her a week or a few days to move in with friends and make other arrangements, and after that, her stuff goes on the curb, and if necessary you get a restraining order to get her out of your condo and your life. I'm serious. If you can't earn a living with her in your life, you need to get her out of your life. I don't care how much you love her. Some people love crack too. If she's destroying you, she's got to go, simple as that.

You say you feel you have wasted your life playing poker, I say get over it. Most middle-aged people feel their jobs are a waste of time. It's just the "oh my God I'm 50" mid-life crisis speaking. If the job has put food on the table, a roof over your head, and kept you from being a burden to society, it is not a waste of time, whether it's playing poker or selling lettuce. You probably know a lot of people who are bitter because they think your job of playing poker is more glamorous than their job selling tires. That's their problem. Don't let it be your problem. You didn't win for a decade from good luck. You obviously have the skill. You just have to get back on track and stop paying attention to the opinions of the users and the losers.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:47 PM

Not only another female 2p2 poster, but one I agree with wholeheartedly. 2p2 women FTW!
Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No decent self-respecting woman is going to get a full-time job to support a man playing cards all day. That's just ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope you weren't referring to my post, b/c that is not what i said. the rest of your post is spot on.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:07 PM

Hello all,

Thank you for your kind words. I originally posted this in the OOT forum because I felt I needed a lot of responses chearing me up, but one of the moderators used his powers to burry me in here. The post probably belongs here, he's right about that, but even after I explained the situation to him, he refused to move it back. Next time I feel like jumping out of the window and need a quick response from my forum friends, I will remember to post some nude pictures of my GF. I'm sure they won't move my post that way.

Nevermind that anymore, I am very glad for the responses I have got all the same even if I had to be patient for a few days.

It is true that I am depressed. I have been to the doctor and got some medicine that should fix that. It will take a couple of weeks before it starts working and I am not going to play poker for some time, I know that depression, drugs and gambling are a bad combination.

The ones that mention the middle age crisis are probably right as well. All those thoughts about being too old suddenly hit me out of the blue but I allready feel much better about that.

The financial situation is bad, but not hopeless. It will be hard not to play poker for some time, but as I have been losing these past months I think it is the right thing to do. I will take a few days off, maybe get out of the condo, go to the movies or whatever and when my thoughts are rational again, I will find a short term solution. I don't want to quit playing poker unless it becomes clear that I cannot win anymore of course, but as it was pointed out several times, you don't make a living playing for 10 years if you don't have some skills. The important now is to control the finacial aspect of this story, rebuild a proper working environment and solve the biggest problem of all, my GF.

First, I want to point out that I never said she was a "young hottie". She is 44, so a little younger than myself and very attractive for her age, but no more.
That doesn't mean that she can't stay with me only because I pay for everything but I honestly don't think that's the case. She doesn't ask for anything but I do think that she is lazy and rather not do anything even if it means not having any money than taking a job.

I don't know yet what I am going to do with her. It hurts like hell thinking that she might not be here tomorrow but deep deep inside I know that if she keeps behaving the way she does, she's gotta go.

I will wait a few days to talk to her about all this again. Right now, even if I feel much better I am not sure I can do or say what it takes.

I hope you can feel the difference from the other day in the way I write. I do feel much better. I know that there's a long way to go yet, but I'm mentally preparing myself for that.

Again, thank you for listening and for you help.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:58 PM

thanks for clearing up the age thing, good luck man, keep us posted.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep us posted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-31-2006, 09:21 PM

Slimbob, I forgot about you in my earlier post.
I just wanted to thank you for the Thailand suggestion. I will keep it in mind if I become single again but I honestly hope it won't happen.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 AM

52 you're no spring chicken and your options are limited

what did you do prior to playing poker ?
Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She sounds like a user. And she sounds bored, without inner resources, which is why she is unable to entertain herself without constantly pestering you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't=all women? j/k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously though she gave you some solid feedback, hang in there bud.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 PM

<font color="pink"> typing with pink is soooo gay </font>
<font color="blue"> but blueeee is cool </font>
Closed Thread