Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: ask me about being a bike messenger.

Oddjob, I ride a single speed (VERY different than a fixed gear) and I ride with one, if not both pant legs rolled up. As does everyone who rides a bike, AFAIK. It's not a bragging thing, it's practical so that your pant leg doesn't get caught in the chain LDO.

That being said, OP is one of the non-dick waving bike messengers who doesn't feel the need to ride a fixie.

What's the deal with that? All these donks in the loop in Chicago riding through red lights on a fixie, and very few of them have a front brake. Is it something practical? I don't think so, as betrayed by my dick-waving comment. Seems suicidal to me.

PS You should come here and ride Critical Mass. Way [censored] cool.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oddjob, I ride a single speed (VERY different than a fixed gear) and I ride with one, if not both pant legs rolled up. As does everyone who rides a bike, AFAIK. It's not a bragging thing, it's practical so that your pant leg doesn't get caught in the chain LDO.

That being said, OP is one of the non-dick waving bike messengers who doesn't feel the need to ride a fixie.

What's the deal with that? All these donks in the loop in Chicago riding through red lights on a fixie, and very few of them have a front brake. Is it something practical? I don't think so, as betrayed by my dick-waving comment. Seems suicidal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know when why they roll up their pants, when they're riding a bike. maybe it's just denver, but if they're in a bar or club or restaurant they keep their 1 leg rolled up.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to say that I'm from Pittsburgh and my roommate is one of our famous bike nerds.

Our basement could be a bike shop. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, my old roommate in Pittsburgh literally ran a bike shop out of our apartment for a semester.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what bike do you ride?

[/ QUOTE ]
cannondale w 105 group.
redline 925 w mustache bars.

[ QUOTE ]
witness or been a part of any bike messenger fights? be it with other messengers, drivers or pedestrians.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been in a few. i grabbed some dudes glasses off his face and threw them into traffic.

punched a few ignorant rednecks. "stay on the sidewalk, bike [censored]!" thats always a classic.

and some art students in town think they are cool when they give us [censored] until one of us radioes the whole crew and we surround them and their friends disappear and they [censored] their pants, crying not to hurt them.

[/ QUOTE ]

99killed, these are Drama students not Art students.

Also, why the [censored] do pedestrians in Pittsburgh think that its OK to randomly walk across the street? Originally from St. Louis, and I've never seen this before (especially when 90% of all lights stop specifically for people to cross). I don't just decide to drive through the intersection when there are droves of people crossing during the walk sign.

Also: to clarify, I have no problem with people seeing an opening and running/walking across if there is room but these slow [censored] start to cross the street and make me come to a complete stop while they take their sweet ass time.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No real questions that I can think of right now.

Just wanted to say though, sweet job. Ive always wanted to give it a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

it IS a sweet job -- BRAG?: i just work part-time for the fun/exercise/chicks now. i'm making a weeks full-time pay in a one night 9-tabling the 1/2 on stars.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i know when why they roll up their pants, when they're riding a bike. maybe it's just denver, but if they're in a bar or club or restaurant they keep their 1 leg rolled up.

[/ QUOTE ]
of course, i hate on hipsters pretty hard too. its pretty funny, hipster morons look like messengers and the actual messengers look like normal dirtballs. lol.

me= long hair dirtball. no bike gear in public, not during work.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
carry around giant chrome messenger bags.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol....i thought i was cool when i got my black on black huge chrome bag for work. lol. i see a few office/hipster jerks with one every day.

lol part-time as [censored]. going to work right now. 1:25pm.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great thread

[ QUOTE ]
meet chicks?

[/ QUOTE ]
i see thousands of hot women every day. its one of the best perks of the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate plz. 'see'? ever been propositioned by one or otherwise had a random sexual encounter/close call, while on the job? how many phone numbers have you gotten/given since you've been working etc details

[/ QUOTE ]

i've def gotten alot of numbers and met some fine women i would not of met otherwise. and i'm a retard when it come to chicks. like yahtzee w- no dice. no game at all. never had an 'encounter' during businnes hours though. but some of my better looking friends who are slick w the chicks have done some wild [censored].

hot young receptionists who think messengers are cool are the [censored].
Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM

A few weeks ago in Seattle a 19 y.o. kid was killed by a dump truck driver. He was riding a fixed gear bike down a hill. This article speculates that inexperienced people on fixed gear bikes are at huge risk to themselves and others. Touches a bit on whether no brake fixie should even be allowed on city streets at all.

What do you think of no brake fixies?

KJS