Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 AM

Default 25NL AA - Played too fast?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($35)
BB ($17.90)
UTG ($38.10)
MP ($23.90)
Button ($12.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.75, Button calls $2.75.

Flop: ($11.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, UTG calls $8, Button folds.

Turn: ($27.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $23.25 (All-In)</font>

Is this one of those negative freeroll situations? Am I only being called when i'm beat?

I struggle to believe AQ would call me down here. I had had a run of real good cards and had taken down about 5 out of the last ten pots without a showdown, all a decent size, so my image is pretty loose. Have only been at the table for 20 or so hands, so no reads on this guy yet, haven't seen him get involved in any big pots.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: 25NL AA - Played too fast?

I'm thinking I could've made a real weak bet on the turn, like, $8 or something, to induce a shove from worse hands/draws.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 AM

i like it. it depends on villain but against typical 25nl villain you will get called by many weaker hands.

And i don't like any smallish bet. i don't think worse hands shove here and this only accomplish giving any draws, which are lika gazillions on this flop, proper odds to chase.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:36 AM

I'd raise more pf in the SB. You give them nice odds to call, i'd have made it 5 or even 6.

Flop is fine. I don't think that to bet turn w 1/3 or 1/2 pot is an option, because then you'll have to call any raise anyway and you might aswell bring it in yourself. So imo we either push or check. I am leaning towards checking, because you're both very deep and from your observation he seems to be a careful player, from whom we can expect a check behind unless he has what beats you. So I would check and fold to a PSB and maybe even to 1/2 pot, because imo from what you beat only KK bets this turn when checked to. AQ KQ control the pot.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Thats terrible advice, anyone who knows what they are talking about care to answer?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Well, I like raising more in the blinds as well. It's mostly to overcome the disadvantage of your position. So make it 4.5 or so.
The flop bet is standard.
Turn is tricky. That wasn't a lovely card but not too scary either. The board is very wet. I don't know if it is a negative freeroll. These happen on the river when you know you have to call a bet by villain but you also know that he will check behind with his mediocre hands that he would call a bet with so that you allow him to get value out of you when you are behind and save himself some chips when he is beat.
I don't really like a c/f here, because people love to play their draws so much. There are so many hands that could have connected to this board in some way. I don't think you have much fold equity but a good chance to be ahead. I actually like a check here. When he checks behind, that's good for you because you can see the rivercard. When he bets, I think I call, because I hope that I have induced a bluff by a weaker hand like AQ or a straightdraw. If he has specifically KJ or a set, then too bad. Remember that there are only 6 combos of AQ or any other pair+A kicker-hand left. So check/fold against a nit might even be a good play here.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 AM

I may be way off base here, but i'm pretty sure my hand is good. I'm looking for the best way to extract value, and I felt in hindsight that shoving the turn for just under a psb may have turned my hand into a bluff. I don't think i'm folding any better hands.

I wasn't commenting on the 'raise more from the blinds' bit of last posters advice when I said it was terrible, I agree, but I think its a fairly negligible difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:43 AM

To decide what's the best way to extract, you need to know if villain will call your bet with a wider range than he'll bet with. If he will call with worse hands more frequently, you should push. If he will semi-bluff a lot or overplay pairs etc., you should check and try to induce a bluff. Most unknowns tend to call too much though. So if you are really sure that you are ahead, bet it. Maybe you want to make your betsize a little smaller if you don't want to scare him away and leave you with very little money behind that you can push in on the river.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM

Random Thoughts:

-UTG could have gotten away from AQ preflop possibly if they were tight. If not, this is pretty much how I would expect them to play AQ

-UTG could have re-reraised if they had KK

-UTG could definately play 99-QQ this way PF

-UTG could play AK this way PF, but thinking AK would not call on the flop

Poker stove gives you a 54% equity vs. AQ, 99++ if you gave them all equal probability.

I don't think you can give them equal probability, but it seems that with the money already in the pot, pushing is probably +EV and personally I like it better than any other option.

Edit: Your loose image is helpful here too if he does happen to have KK or AQ...
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM

I think pokerstove automatically assigns probability distributions to preflop holdings no?

Noone has commented on my alternative yet. Does anyone think a $7-$8 bet could induce a push from AQ/draws/etc?