Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 11:18 PM

Default TD 2-7.. improving from a 3 draw to 1 OOP

In HU and SH play (where i am most likely to be drawing 3 out of my BB) I tend to play differently than most when I improve to a decent 1 draw (Draw to a smooth 86 or better). A lot of my opponents tend to check raise in this spot. I prefer to just bet out. I get raised probably 50% of the time when I do this but id rather put in two bets here than three if I check raise and they 3 bet their pat hands. I never am very comfortable building very large pots when Im OOP even if im drawing perfect. I feel like betting out is the best way to get a reasonable amount of money in the pot while protecting myself from getting 3 bet. What do you guys think is a better way to play this?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: TD 2-7.. improving from a 3 draw to 1 OOP

I think this is often a good play, to just make the donk-bet into the player drawing two.

Some opponents will habitually raise worse hands that also improved to a 1-card draw. Having 7642 and getting raised by 8752 is probably good for you.

Also, some opponents will have drawn 2 but be just as happy to take a free card when they brick, with something like 754xx or 853xx. Checking behind sacrifices some fold equity, but I will often take/give the free card against an opponent drawing three, because if he's improved by one card he's probably smoother than I am. Plus there is always a check/raise to fear, and the smaller pot may make decisions easier on the 3rd and 4th round.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Re: TD 2-7.. improving from a 3 draw to 1 OOP

The donk is excellent. It avoids a free card, and also makes your opponent tend to wonder if your hand is strong or not.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]