Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Did I play it badly?

This was a $7.70 rebuy tourney, 60 people left out of ~270 and 30 spots got payed. I was somewhere around 13th-15th in chips. Villian was pretty passive player, and not very good post flop, I was moved to this table 10 minutes before this hand took place, and saw him open limp hands like AJo,AQs, KQ on the button before. He was also pretty passive post flop.
Green Joker Poker 3,500 Guaranteed Rebuy 400/800, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop | saw showdown

Button (5095)
SB SB (4600)
BB Hero (17115)
UTG (4772.50)
UTG+1 (11100)
MP (12200)
MP MP (9685)
CO-1 (14830)
CO CO (29335.84)

Preflop: Hero is in the BB with 4h 7c
3 folds, MP calls 800, 1 fold, CO calls 800, 1 fold, SB calls 400, Hero checks.

Flop (3200) 7h As 4d
SB checks, Hero bets 3200, 1 fold, CO calls 3200, 1 fold.

Turn (9600) 5s
Hero moves all-in for 13115, CO calls 13115.

Was my turn push a bad play? What would you do in that spot?

P.S This is my first post in the strat forums, so I am sorry if my post is bad, i am a noob [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Did I play it badly?

no. perfect, all around i'd say.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:32 AM

Welcome.

Most posters use a different converter, one that includes suits. How to play the hand depends a lot on the board texture, which in your post is incomplete, as we don't know the suits of the cards. You can find other converters in any thread with a HH.

Is this a PL tourney? I noticed no antes.

Potting the flop is fine. You could try for a checkraise, but as you said Villain is passive postflop, he may not oblige, so leading the flop is fine.

The turn shove is an overbet, however, any pottish-sized bet is so suspiciously close to a shove that your shove may have looked way weak to Villain. As Villain obv likes his hand, I think you can maybe check the turn with the intention of a CRAI.

Again, knowing if there are flush draws out there help to develop a line.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 AM

Sorry, I screwed up with the converter, I edited my original post, and aded suits. Well, I was just wondering if there was a way for me not to go broke on this hand? Should I have checked the turn, knowing that villian will check behind, and fold if a bad card like A, J, Q or a 10 comes on the river. After he called the flop bet I was pretty sure he had an A in his hand, most likely AJ, AQ A10, A9, because I think he would've raised AK or AA preflop, and I think he would've raised 2 pair or a set on the flop.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 AM

If you think he checks behind on the turn, then you bet. Ideally, if you think he'll bet the turn if you check, then a CRAI is ideal, as you avoid the problem of the overbet.

I probably wouldn't shove the turn, as I don't want Villain to fold, so I'd bet like 5-6000. Ship it in on the river.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:07 AM

Yeah, i think i check the turn here in hopes that he puts you on a small A that you will fold if he bets. But if you are going to bet, I dont know if I like the size of the turn bet. Why not bet an amount that he will call with hands like AT? I guess you could argue that if he will call 7200 he will call an all in...but its shocking how many people will call 5K and fold the river to a shove, or something those lines.

These are perfect kind of hands to think about how we could have won more...even just a LITTLE more.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate that you responded. I guess I just got a little unlucky there, he called and showed A10 and rivered A for the win. After the hand I was pondering if I should bet like 4k and if I saw the A on the river I could easily check fold and still be alive in the tourney with ~ 9k .
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 AM

yup, just unlucky. Horrible call with AT imho...
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM

I think you can bet less on the turn, but NOT because you can fold if an A falls on the river. I mean sure, you now have the ability to fold the river if Villain hits his two-outer, but that's not why we're betting less on the turn.

We're betting less on the turn so that when we shove the river the pot is so big in relation to our stack that it looks natural.

Killingbird said what I was thinking in my response. You have the best hand, and your opponent has the second best hand. Now try to develop a plan to get as many ships from him as you can. Open shoving the turn is probably not the best way to maximize your value against most opponents.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you can bet less on the turn, but NOT because you can fold if an A falls on the river. I mean sure, you now have the ability to fold the river if Villain hits his two-outer, but that's not why we're betting less on the turn.

We're betting less on the turn so that when we shove the river the pot is so big in relation to our stack that it looks natural.

Killingbird said what I was thinking in my response. You have the best hand, and your opponent has the second best hand. Now try to develop a plan to get as many ships from him as you can. Open shoving the turn is probably not the best way to maximize your value against most opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

are we shoving any non-A river?