Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Eggs w/ Yolks vs Whites only

I’m 5’11, 220 lbs, back in the gym for the first time in 10 months after a skiing injury last season followed by the bar exam.

I’m trying to fix my diet towards the high-protein, lower carbs side especially at night.

I think a good solution for me here is eggs. Now, an egg has 75 calories, 5G fat and ~6g protein, and 200mg of cholesterol. Without yolks, that egg has only 17 calories and 4g protein, no fat and no cholesterol.

I tend to eat a lot of eggs: 2 for breakfast, and often some for dinner if I’m short on time: frittatas, omelettes, scrambles, etc

My workout goal isn’t any extreme cutting or weight loss; I have a large frame and I’d say my ideal weight is 205 or so. However, I do want to tone and build lean muscle mass.

I’m working out 4 days a week or more – is it worth it for me to separate the yolks out of my eggs to avoid the extra fat, calories and cholesterol, or should I just eat them whole?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Eggs w/ Yolks vs Whites only

I can't answer your question, and am sure that others will.

But I have to express some surprise that your ideal weight could be around 205 at 5'11. I'm probably 1 1/2 inches shorter, and consider my ideal weight to be 160-165.

That aside, I will make one suggestion: Egg beaters. I've recently converted to them, and they're much better than I thought.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM

i boil the eggs and take the yolk out that way. pretty easy.

if missing the calories is worth the slight hassle and any loss of taste, i guess that's up to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I’m working out 4 days a week or more – is it worth it for me to separate the yolks out of my eggs to avoid the extra fat, calories and cholesterol, or should I just eat them whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your overall fat balance in the rest of your diet. You want 20-30% of your calories from fat, roughly.

Eating eggs for breakfast and dinner is a bit much though, there's some suspicion that they're estrogenic in high quantities.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But I have to express some surprise that your ideal weight could be around 205 at 5'11.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had the same reaction while reading his post. 205 just seems too heavy for this height
Old 11-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Haven't read other replies.

1) You don't eat a lot of eggs. I average 2-3 dozen a week.

2) yolk vs none. If I buy healthy eggs (free range, infused with omega 3s, no antibiotics, yada yada,) I keep the yolk, it is a sweet source of protein and fat. If I am consuming unhealthy eggs (at someone's place) and I can get my fat intake in from another healhty source I normally toss out most yolks... you need 2 egg whites to = 1 egg so you see how you can burn through eggs like this. If I have no other food sources and this is all I will be eating for a while I keep the yolks...

In terms of weight loss, you might be special, but for 99% of people out there deciding egg yolk or no egg yolk is pretty pointless, same idea as 3g of creatine or 7g... there are bigger changes you can make with better improvements.

So in short, eat the whole egg.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your overall fat balance in the rest of your diet. You want 20-30% of your calories from fat, roughly.

Eating eggs for breakfast and dinner is a bit much though, there's some suspicion that they're estrogenic in high quantities.

[/ QUOTE ]

estrogen link? I have never heard this. I have never heard anything bad about eggs....other than potential allergies, but that's a whole separate issue.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

estrogen link? I have never heard this. I have never heard anything bad about eggs....other than potential allergies, but that's a whole separate issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah I'm FOS I remember I posted this before in OOT or here and wound up finding out that if anything they might be slightly anti-estrogenic (shown to decrease chance of breast cancer).