Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-31-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Squats and Deadlifts

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think this is worth it's own thread so I'll just ask here. What's the best way to stop giant callouses from forming on my hands after DLs? After just a couple of reps, my skin starts peeling and all that fun stuff. It never has enough time to heal before my next workout at this point, so my skin is constantly rough and blistery in those parts. Given than my school gym apparently doesn't allow chalk, should I get gloves, adjust my grip, or just suck it up and deal with it?

This is a big part of the reason why I am the exact opposite as the OP in my preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this problem big time and it's pretty much why I stopped doing dead lifts. After a while I felt like the limiting factor was more my grip than my muscles.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Anybody else LOOOOOOOOVE doing them both, heavy, on the same day? Gets me excited about tomorrow just thinking about it.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't think this is worth it's own thread so I'll just ask here. What's the best way to stop giant callouses from forming on my hands after DLs? After just a couple of reps, my skin starts peeling and all that fun stuff. It never has enough time to heal before my next workout at this point, so my skin is constantly rough and blistery in those parts. Given than my school gym apparently doesn't allow chalk, should I get gloves, adjust my grip, or just suck it up and deal with it?

This is a big part of the reason why I am the exact opposite as the OP in my preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this problem big time and it's pretty much why I stopped doing dead lifts. After a while I felt like the limiting factor was more my grip than my muscles.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably is for most people. That's why lots use straps, gloves, etc. A little work on a gripper will toughen your hands a lot and make holding deadlifts pretty easy.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should I get gloves

[/ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

It is a personal decision. The biggest drawback is you sacrifice a lot as far developing grip strength by using gloves. The main benefit is protecting your hands. I've heard that people in certain jobs should use gloves during weightlifting so that they can do their jobs better/longer.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else LOOOOOOOOVE doing them both, heavy, on the same day? Gets me excited about tomorrow just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a big fan of the nausea, especially if I know I have to go to work for 8 hours after.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM

Ok thanks guys. I've tried lowering my grip a couple of times before, but it felt really unnatural and hurt my fingers so I went back. I guess I'll try to stick with it this time. I've heard mixed things about gloves similar to the concerns in this thread, so I'll probably hold off on those unless I feel I really need them. How useful are the grippers, and how valuable is having a strong grip anyway aside from DLs?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] yeah.

The feeling of accomplishment after a heavy leg day is the best. I walk home feeling like I'm John Wayne or something.

Alex - how useful is having a strong grip?
To answer a question with more questions:
Do you ever get introduced to people? Open jars? Does everything you want to pick up off the ground in the real world have nice little handles and straps on it? Do you ever wear t-shirts?(grip strength = big forearms).

[censored], I sound like I've drunk the captain crush koolaid :S
Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] yeah.

The feeling of accomplishment after a heavy leg day is the best. I walk home feeling like I'm John Wayne or something.

Alex - how useful is having a strong grip?
To answer a question with more questions:
Do you ever get introduced to people? Open jars? Does everything you want to pick up off the ground in the real world have nice little handles and straps on it? Do you ever wear t-shirts?(grip strength = big forearms).

[censored], I sound like I've drunk the captain crush koolaid :S

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, im all for haivng a strong grip, but its kind of ridiculous to say that you shouldn't use straps or try gloves because they hurt your grip strength. i highly doubt you will come across a situation during normal life where the limiting factor is grip i fyou can deadlift over 225 (random number than would take a bit of training to achieve)...but preventing yourself from pulling 405 or whatever cuz you don't want to use straps will cause more problems than having the grip strength to lift 305, but not 405...hopefully this makes some sense...
Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM

If you've never used straps, you should never have a problem imo. Your grip should progress at about the same speed as your deadlift.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you've never used straps, you should never have a problem imo. Your grip should progress at about the same speed as your deadlift.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be true for pulling singles...but when i increae the reps then my grip will almost always fail/slip befor my hams/back...