Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Default 1/2 game in LA

I am going to LA next weekend and want to play 1/2 NLHE. Any recommendations? I will be in Hollywood.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: 1/2 game in LA

u mean the 40NL game. or 100NL game
Old 10-27-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am going to LA next weekend and want to play 1/2 NLHE. Any recommendations? I will be in Hollywood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Closest game with an open seat. Seriously.

end of thread.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 PM

I recommend either Hustler or Normandie in Gardena. Nice small clubs. Good people, decent players (including your normal group of donks) and close too. If you are looking for bigger games or a bigger place it doesnt get much bigger than Commerce. They have over 220 poker tables... by far the largest west of the Mississippi.

And to answer the question... you will be looking for a $40 or $50 NL game. You ask someone for a 1/2 game they might look at you like your nuts.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 PM

if you're looking for an enjoyable enviornment go to hustler. The games are decent too.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 AM

Do any of the LA cardrooms spread deeper 1/2 (ie $100 or $200 cap)?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of the LA cardrooms spread deeper 1/2 (ie $100 or $200 cap)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Normandie may have an $80 cap on the 1/2.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. Obviously I'm new to poker.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:12 PM

for the most part the 1/2 NL ($40 or $50 buy in) usually is capped at $100 (save the Normandie which Dennisa pointed out is capped at $80)... at least thats my experience.

The higher buyins and caps are usually the yellow (red everywhere else it seems) games with caps at $200-$1000 or so.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In games with 1/2 blinds you want to avoid the higher spread buy games and go for the games with a $40 fixed buy. Except perhaps for the Hustler the higher buy games are spread in clubs where they use too many props (Normandie, Crystal Park) and there aren't enough games.

OTOH the 40 fixed buy games with 1-2 blinds are mostly party time in LA. If you can get into a table that has been going for a while (despite the drop the stacks grow with re-buys) and can double or triple up early and press the session you can make a decent score and be playing medium stack NL.

Commerce is closest and the games are spread upstairs in the tournament area. I've been there late at night to chill at the eTable SNGs. It appears most people playing NL are having a good time.

At the Bike you will be in the center of the main floor and get more of a real cardroom feel since the other action will be in plain view.

Hollywood Park is cramped in the area these games are spread but the action might be better than Bike and Commerce (on the downside I think the drop is higher).

Hustler might be a good choice and the games are spread near the bigger games (and sometimes you might see Larry's huge game). With the bigger spread I've observed that the games appear to be more serious.

Hawaiian Gardens is out of your way but they really do these little NL games right. They have about twenty tables directly behind the bar and games often spill over into the corridors. They stress a party atmosphere and more people seem to be there just for pure fun. Good place to be after the bars empty out. They also spread 1-1 blind games with a $20 buy!

Crystal Park might be worth a try for their 7:00pm donkaments with rebuys (expect to spend $80 to $130 or so). After there may be a small NL game going that is good but it's iffy (don't be surprised to find it propped five deep).

Food is great at Hustler and HG, good at Bike and Commerce, but eat before you play Hollywood Park (although their corn beef hash and eggs is decent).

Hope this helps.

~ Rick