Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:29 AM

Default A speculation thread for the OLD SCHOOL APers please

I have played on Absolute for quite a long time, and over the course of my play on that site, I seem to vaguely recall several different instances of a random donk showing up for a few weeks at a time, playing seemingly awful, yet winning more consistently than not... and then a few weeks later, never seeing the guy again.

I am not at all saying that ANY of these instances were anything, nor do I really want to start a witch hunt. However, I think a thread should be started for some of us to comb through our old databases to see if we notice any names with suspicious looking stats/wins -- be it LHE, or NLHE.

The reason for this is obviously a simple one: We have no clue how long the cheating has been going on, and, unless we are able to name specific names, it's doubtful AP is going to voluntarily say, "oh hey guys, we actually discovered this has been going on for two years, we owe a lot of you a LOT of money."

I hope that making this effort will amount to nothing. I just want us to at the least, be on the look out. Also, ideally, it would be good to have a list of 'suspicious names' just in case Nat or somebody actually gets free reign in contributing to an investigation.

I'm hoping some of the guys who have been around AP for awhile can help me think of some of these guys -- I know with several of you 2p2ers a few years ago we'd always chat on IM and be like "kad;fkad;sfj is SO BAD, how does he keep on winning?!?"

I have found a few names now that have stats that are going to make me take a deeper look at their hands. I'll report back soon.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: A speculation thread for the OLD SCHOOL APers please

ugh I really wish i could join in this, but my old computer got stolen, so I can't really help in NL
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 AM

the 'hand history or it didn't happen' rule applies here*

*if you don't have it, PM someone that does
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ugh I really wish i could join in this, but my old computer got stolen, so I can't really help in NL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I had a hard drive crash so I'm working on a limited old database. But I know there's gotta be some long time regs with good DBs who can take even just a minute glance at their summary tab to see who has big wins with weird stats, and then another ten minute look at some of the actual hands that were played.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 AM

I've been asked about PTOWNER and GGOUOYD25, both aren't cheaters.

I can't think of any other players at NL fitting your desc though schneids
Old 10-20-2007, 01:41 AM

If you were playing a lot of LHE at the 50/100 or 75/150 level in October 2005, or April 2006, and have a fully intact DB, can you please PM me.

Apparently my super old DBs only show the summaries and stuff but the hands cannot be loaded and viewed. So, I would give you two names to check into more. '

Again, this is *probably* nothing, but, I prefer to go by the "better safe than sorry" policy.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:58 AM

A snippet of what I want just a simple check via some hands:

I'd say it's pretty likely this guy wasn't cheating, or if he was, it was by a different person or else earlier on they were much less greedy and daring in their effort. One thing I *do* remember of this guy was his innate ability to check behind in spots when he had the lead and it was unlikely his opponent would call a bet (ie to let them catch a pair... also explaining the low agg factors). He also made a lot of super light call downs (ie of the Q hi type variety).

In anycase, I don't have any actual hands because my DB sucks (or if someone can explain to me how I can get PT to load them somehow... All the HH text files are somewhere in an external HD of mine). Also, thus far with these stats it's still substantially more likely this guy wasn't cheating than was. But yeah, after seeing his name in my PT I remember several musings with a few other AP players where we were always baffled this guy continued to win more than he lost (my sample size isn't large but he played a lot when I wasn't playing too, and he won more than he lost).
Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say it's pretty likely this guy wasn't cheating, or if he was, it was by a different person or else earlier on they were much less greedy and daring in their effort. One thing I *do* remember of this guy was his innate ability to check behind in spots when he had the lead and it was unlikely his opponent would call a bet (ie to let them catch a pair... also explaining the low agg factors). He also made a lot of super light call downs (ie of the Q hi type variety).

[/ QUOTE ]

This desc really sounds like a fish running hot
Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 AM

I remember Jay188 from right around when 75/150 came out ill have to dig up my old backup hard drive but hopefully I have still have the database. I should be able to find it in the next couple days. I remember one session pretty clearly where i banged my head against a wall trying to figure out how this [censored] was playing 100% of hands and crushing 3 handed.

-brad
Old 10-20-2007, 03:06 AM

who TF was uneducated? I am guessing its someone from 2+2 or someone well known. He always sat with alot of money, that crazy avatar, and I couldnt beat him for the life of me.