Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: $3/$6 Razz raised on the river.

c/c'ing seventh is a mistake. the reason is that he will never bluff into a 752A board and will also pretty much never bluff raise on the end, but it's not impossible for him to call with a worse hand trying to bluff catch.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM

I don't understand fourth street at all. I'm not a fan of betting and folding to a raise, but I think seventh is as good a spot as any for it. I don't think you give up much by checking and calling, however, and that costs the same as your line without possibly sacrificing your equity.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 AM

4th st is nice against someone who reads hands well and will read your check-behind as having paired. I like it just fine, actually. Most of the time you are about even with this person or pretty well ahead. I actually prefer to check 4th when acting first though, because you get the same result but the other guy will usually bet it for you, and you can call or check-raise. Of course, that could be what *he* was going for also.

I agree with your reasoning on 7th adanthar... so do you think it's better to bet/fold or a check/fold? Most reasonable players will not bluff there if you check, because they know that you can just be checking a hand their that they *could* have beat. I don't see much that someone would bet for value when checked to that you can beat. But I'm a sucker so I'd probably check-call, even though I might think it was wrong at the time.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c'ing seventh is a mistake. the reason is that he will never bluff into a 752A board and will also pretty much never bluff raise on the end, but it's not impossible for him to call with a worse hand trying to bluff catch.

[/ QUOTE ]

conversely if you cannot safely bet-fold like the hero did then I am fine with a check-call vs an aggressive opponent who will see your board and assume weakness when you check with a board that strong.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM

I feel like the consensus here is that a b/f is fine here, but now which is the better line on the river to take? C/C or B/F?

-ChipsAhoya
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 AM

Calling is probably the best move here. Ok - he probably has you beat, but I have found through experience that generally calling in situations like these will win enough times vs the pot odds.

I suppose you could use some form of game theory in situations to fold some of the time with the correct frequency...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling is probably the best move here. Ok - he probably has you beat, but I have found through experience that generally calling in situations like these will win enough times vs the pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suggest you do the math to verify your assumption. Bayes tells us that the hero's hand must be good at least 19% of the time in order to show a small profit. I'm not so sure Chips is good on the river 1 in 5 times, bet fold is far better than bet calling in my opinion,but if someone else disagrees and thinks Chips's hand is good greater than 19% of the time then bet call would be the correct line. I think thats the only subjective decision, how often he is good.

Again as I previously stated if your not capable of the bet-fold line or if your opponent tends to only have eyes for his hand then check/call is the best line.