Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Hi/Lo checkraise fifth?

Pretty simple hand, but one of the issues I'm working on in my game at the moment is that I don't checkraise very often. Does this seem like a spot for it?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (6.80 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.90 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___????
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Hi/Lo checkraise fifth?

This looks like a good spot to bet and hope someone picked up a low draw they'll brick with or a pair they'll peel with and then the other tard with a Jack up will draw almost dead against you.

It's WAY more likely it will check to the J and he'll give a free card than having him bet and get to make the AQ4 pay two bets to draw.

There are spots to c/r to try to knock someone out or to just make the pot as huge as possible but this is not one of them. The J is obviously a moron but he also has shown no aggression yet so I'm not going to count on him to bet. If he was smart then I would think he should be fairly suspicious of your check because it makes no sense to not bet with your hand so you must be going for a c/r. That said he might bet anyway with his Js hoping that you will raise to get the other guy out and increase his chances of winning the pot or half of it. However like I said this guy hasn't done anything but call so I'm not going to just hope he decides to try and play well.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:50 PM

For a check-raise to work, you have to get someone to bet when you check. You are showing a pair. I'm no high stakes player, but do you think it's likely either of these would bet if you checked? And if they would, say, thinking you were working the lo and didn't like your pair, if you raised wouldn't it pretty much give your hand away?

I rthink C/R works better on later streets where they have a lot of money invested and might call just because of the odds or convince themselves you are bluffing.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 AM

I don't know who you think is going to bet your hand for you. I'd just bet it.

How many hands besides 666 do you raise third after an Ace completes?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:39 AM

When an Ace completes it on 3rd, get raised by a low card, and then check/calls a turn bet after what appears to be a brick...(unless he's a poor, eratic type player)he probably has a pair (whether it's Aces or not is hard to tell at this point because some players go into check/call mode if they brick and their opponent does not; mostly as to disguise the strength and to possibly position themselves to CR the later rounds. And if he doesn't have a pair, then he must have started with a wheel draw and feels that a peel is justified due to pot size. Again, this is presuming that he's a thinking player.

That said, I think you need to bet 5th. If the Ace door does have A's, then he's going to call you anyway, but it's doubtful that he'll bet if checked to seeing that he had his chance on ~3rd-4th and chose not to bloat the pot. And if he picked up his low draw, then he's obviously going to call but there's nothing to make me believe that he'd bet if you checked it. The pot is getting pretty big and why give the low draw a free card.

And, going by the looks of the other player's board, I highly doubt that he's going to bet either, but, if he called all the bets/raises thus far, I think it's very likely that he's going to keep calling. So why not bet? Besides, because it's hi-lo and not stud high, a lot of players are going to put you on a strong low draw who just paired up on 5th anyway.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When an Ace completes it on 3rd, get raised by a low card, and then check/calls a turn bet after what appears to be a brick...(unless he's a poor, eratic type player) he probably has a pair...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that most players will check and call in this scenario with almost anything. Myself included.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:01 AM

their boards look retarded. nobody's gonna bet for you.

-- bet for value.
-- bet to protect your bluffs