Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: AZK\'s log

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you target muscles rather than hitting the same ones each day? This allows muscles time to recover.

My workout consists of the following by day:
Mon: Chest & bis
Tues: Legs & shoulders
Weds: Back & tris
Thurs: abs & cardio
Fri-Sun: make up for missed days

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-20-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When the press was an olympic lift the lifters fired their heads back to create an explosive bounce out of the front rack, then leaned far back, recruiting as much muscle as they could, and then popped their head back through violently forward. It all seemed to create momentum on the bar. The problem was that no one felt confident whether they were cheating-- so they may not be a good model, and yet provide something to learn from...

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that is exactly why the press is no longer an Olympic lift. So a little lean is probably ok but the farther back you get, the more other muscles you are recruiting. I dont see that as a necessarily bad thing, it just depends on what you are looking for from that press, and I suspect that most people are trying to isolate muscles doing presses, and not to get a compound lift type effect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The press is a compound lift, although I think I understand and agree with your point. I don't see why Rippetoe and company should have any more success, ultimately, grading the press (though I like it in their total).

My point is that the head gets out of the way of the bar on the way up and then helps complete the lift when/by coming back through. This seems awkward at first for some reason, but it is the most natural/sensible way for the bar to get from the front rack to fully pressed out, and it is partly a consequence of putting speed/explosiveness on the bar/lift.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When the press was an olympic lift the lifters fired their heads back to create an explosive bounce out of the front rack, then leaned far back, recruiting as much muscle as they could, and then popped their head back through violently forward. It all seemed to create momentum on the bar. The problem was that no one felt confident whether they were cheating-- so they may not be a good model, and yet provide something to learn from...

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that is exactly why the press is no longer an Olympic lift. So a little lean is probably ok but the farther back you get, the more other muscles you are recruiting. I dont see that as a necessarily bad thing, it just depends on what you are looking for from that press, and I suspect that most people are trying to isolate muscles doing presses, and not to get a compound lift type effect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The press is a compound lift, although I think I understand and agree with your point. I don't see why Rippetoe and company should have any more success, ultimately, grading the press (though I like it in their total).

My point is that the head gets out of the way of the bar on the way up and then helps complete the lift when/by coming back through. This seems awkward at first for some reason, but it is the most natural/sensible way for the bar to get from the front rack to fully pressed out, and it is partly a consequence of putting speed/explosiveness on the bar/lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess I worded that poorly. I was just referring more to the recruitment of more muscle groups into the lift. But yeah the lift doesnt really seem very effective without some "lean".
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you target muscles rather than hitting the same ones each day? This allows muscles time to recover.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to have a bodybuilder physique, and I'd like to have some functional strength...your body wasn't trained to do movements with just your bi or just your tri or just your chest, but rather compound movements, thus, when i train and get stronger i want my body prepared for compound movements...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 AM

I share your concern, do high reps, rather than low reps max weight. It's been working fine for me.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 PM

Maulik, I gather he's doing compound movements because they have transference to daily life-- the brain learns how to fire muscles together. And he's going heavy at least occasionally in order so that his brain can learn to efficiently fire a lot of his muscle in situations not relying on some sort of massive adrenal dump.

There's more than one way to do it. An alternative to working out in order to look fit, is working out in order to be fit-- with the not too crazy belief that fit people tend to look fit.

If you can sustain a lifetime of "Back and Bi Day", and don't mind that, say, lat pull-downs and curls develop muscle that is difficult to leverage in daily life-- more power to you. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I share your concern, do high reps, rather than low reps max weight. It's been working fine for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should see if the gym will get some pink barbells for him to use as well....

J/k. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you so beat me to it. genius.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM

explain the challah pls?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:23 PM

This IF thing is pretty hard...at least lifting at the end of the fast is...I started to get a little light headed in the gym today, it was also my longest fast to date, so I think my body just needs to get used to it, stopped eating last night at 630 and lifted today at 1 and broke fast at 2. Gym numbers were a little shaky as I was not really feeling it towards the end...

Squat 2 warm up sets, then 5x5x155
Bench (sub. dumbell press since I have no spot) 5x60, 5x65, 5x70, 5x75, failed the fifth set at 75, I think my PR is 85 (that was last year)
Rowing 5x95, 5x115, 5x135, 5x135

I think my workouts on W/F will be bettter/stronger than this one. Going to start regularly taking ZMA this week and see how it goes...took some on saturday night and had weird dreams but felt well rested in the morning.