Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Identifying double gutshots easily

I've probably played a little over one million hands online but I still have trouble always seeing double gutshots especially when multitabling. Is there some quick way to detect them on the fly? Is it worth memorizing them all?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Identifying double gutshots easily

instead of insta looking at the board texture, try counting outs, thinking about it in a more structured fashion.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Just look at the board and take a few seconds to think?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at the board and take a few seconds to think?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of times I will be playing 12 tables and find out I have a double gutter in a limped pot. I know there has got to be others with the same issue.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
instead of insta looking at the board texture, try counting outs, thinking about it in a more structured fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I usually don't think in terms of outs until it gets to the turn or river and the pot gets large.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM

How about this: to have double gutters, you need to use all 5 cards on the flop. So when looking at the flop, examine the flops that are near your cards more closely.

For example, if you have 68 and the flop comes mid, like 943, check to see what you have. If the flop comes Axx, you know you can't have a double gutter.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:25 AM

I didnt read the post, but you lost the fight against Henderson last night and you know. Damned british people cant judge a fight for [censored].
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Identifying the double gutshot requires first identifying a three straight using one or both of your hole cards.

The most common cards (you should be playing) are connected with no gap. So on the flop, this hand needs one card connected to it and the other two cards a gap above and a gap below. So the first thing to look for with a connected hand is a flop card that connects with it. If there is no card like this on the flop, then you can't flop a double-gutter with connected cards.

If you happen to play a gapped connector, then one way is to hit a flop card that fills the gap so you now have your three card straight. Now look for the gapped ends. Or you can have two flop cards make your three straight and then use your other card as one gapped end and have the third flop card as a gapper at the other end.

So basically, on the flop, you need a three card straight using your two hole cards and then look for one gapped cards at each end.

The turn is obviously a little more complicated. However, I can think of one short cut. A gutshot draw on the flop can turn into a double gutter on the turn.

So in the end, on the flop, you need to have a three card straight using either both your hold cards are one of them. From that three card straight you either have a backdoor draw, a gutshot draw or a double gutshot draw.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Identifying the double gutshot requires first identifying a three straight using one or both of your hole cards.

The most common cards (you should be playing) are connected with no gap. So on the flop, this hand needs one card connected to it and the other two cards a gap above and a gap below. So the first thing to look for with a connected hand is a flop card that connects with it. If there is no card like this on the flop, then you can't flop a double-gutter with connected cards.

If you happen to play a gapped connector, then one way is to hit a flop card that fills the gap so you now have your three card straight. Now look for the gapped ends. Or you can have two flop cards make your three straight and then use your other card as one gapped end and have the third flop card as a gapper at the other end.

So basically, on the flop, you need a three card straight using your two hole cards and then look for one gapped cards at each end.

The turn is obviously a little more complicated. However, I can think of one short cut. A gutshot draw on the flop can turn into a double gutter on the turn.

So in the end, on the flop, you need to have a three card straight using either both your hold cards are one of them. From that three card straight you either have a backdoor draw, a gutshot draw or a double gutshot draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 PM

from my scrapbook