Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Are Astronauts Heroes?

ItalianFX,

I hope you realize I wasn't saying you should NOT be playing poker, just curious what the response might be. I personally don't have any problems with NBA refs gambling, either (FYI, it apparently states in their contract that the only gambling they are allowed to do is on horses...LOL, yeah nobody ever gets hooked on that, clearly whoever left that in there has never been to a bar that has off-track betting and seen all the worn-out looking degens).

But I'm sure somewhere in America there's a cop or two that has a gambling problem so abuses his authoritah (I dunno, maybe stealing contraband and selling it), so that's why I axed.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

politicians - Nope, barring a very very few examples. I think in this day of age, politics prevents heroes from getting anywhere in politics.

artists - Nope, no altruism or desire to help others here. It's about self expression by and large.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you think of any politicians you would have considered heroes? Kennedy maybe? I know someone who thinks Reagan was a hero. He talks about him in glowing terms. I should probably read up on the guy because I don't know one thing that he did while he was in office [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

edited to say: I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people view Obama as a "hero". When my sister first told me about this senator from her state, she spoke of him as if he were some type of hero who would save our country.

Didn't a lot of people look up to Lennon as a hero? Also, I think that film would be a great way to aid or influence a group of people. I don't see why filmmakers couldn't be heroes.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

katy, they aren't heroes simply by having job titles, it's all in their acts. For example, there is a lot of cop-hating and of course cops all have their own reason for wanting that job, but I'm sure there are plenty who strive to do the right thing, and then you've got the guys like Harvey Keitel in "Bad Lieutenant".

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with you and yet run into so many people who think otherwise. For instance, the "teacher as hero" thing. Haven't you ever heard people say "well god bless her for being a teacher. Teachers aren't paid enough. They are saints." I'm usually like "huh? How about those jerks I had when I was in h.s.? They were lazy and unimpressive if you ask me." And they're like "You must have asked for it. I can tell you right now that it's not easy being a teacher. They are heroes."

Heroes? They get compensated well and get the summers off. It doesn't seem like a bad gig to me.

A lot of people think of these professions as "heroic" based on title only. I find it pretty strange and just cannot get on the same page.

(Covering my ass to say that I do feel there are many soldiers out there in Iraq who are heroes. We just may never hear of them.)
Old 08-29-2007, 08:41 PM

The old astronauts were probably heroes. They inspired a whole nation.

I think a hero is someone we all can look at and say, "Wow, not me."

I guess with that, then different people would be allowed to have their own definition.

The above definition is loose. I don't care about sports, and never looked up to Micheal Jordan as a hero. But I am sure that he was a hero to Shaq.

A hero would be someone that the individual strives to be, but knows that he will never obtain. In this light, I guess a good parent could be a hero.

I play poker, and stand in awe of everyone on TV, but I don't consider any of them my heroes, but I have modeled my thinking and playing after them. Someone else may see them as my heroes.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play poker, and stand in awe of everyone on TV, but I don't consider any of them my heroes

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even Tony G?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

I unpixellated your avatar for you:

[/ QUOTE ]

Look what Borodog did for me! Borodog, you're my hero [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM

I think that the word hero has been debased so much in recent times, which is why you are inclined to think that 'heroes are only for kids.'

An entire profession cannot be composed of heroes (well, outside of graphic novels); one must distinguish oneself. Not every soldier in Iraq is a hero, not even every soldier who died is a hero; one who gave his life by falling on a grenade to save a dozen comrades might well be, though.

Athletes are heroes only by cliche; Jesse Owens might be considered a hero. Police officers, firemen, teachers...there may be times when these professions give rise to heroes (Stand and Deliver?) but there's nothing particularly heroic about the day-to-day life of any of them.

I don't know, maybe I'm too stingy with my heroes. I don't see astronauts are particularly heroic; they are just scientists/pilots with an unusually dangerous job.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Did we come up with a definition?

I think heroes are those willing to sacrifice something important in order to help others.

I would certainly call firemen heroes, and astronauts too. The fact that fireman risk dangerous conditions just to help others qualifies them as such. And the fact astronauts do something incredibly risky for the benefit of mankind is something to be greatly admired.

Note sure about the rest of the initial list.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Athletes are heroes only by cliche; Jesse Owens might be considered a hero. Police officers, firemen, teachers...there may be times when these professions give rise to heroes (Stand and Deliver?) but there's nothing particularly heroic about the day-to-day life of any of them.

I don't know, maybe I'm too stingy with my heroes. I don't see astronauts are particularly heroic; they are just scientists/pilots with an unusually dangerous job.

[/ QUOTE ]

We seem to have similar opinions on this subject. I'm a little stingy with my heroes too, although for some reason I do understand poker celebrity worship. Go figure.

Anyway, I agree that there's nothing intrinsically heroic about a profession, but the individuals might be people we absolutely admire. I think DaveT came up with a very good definition, actually. A hero is someone we strive to be but know that we will never attain. That's actually quite good, DaveT. I've only had a couple personal heroes in my life. They were individuals who had an impact on my life who I admired very much, not for their bravery but for their compassion and intelligence.

Oh and welcome to the Lounge, Sholar. Hope to see you posting more often.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Katy,

I unpixellated your avatar for you:

[/ QUOTE ]

Look what Borodog did for me! Borodog, you're my hero [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww shucks. 'T weren't nothin' ma'am.