Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

yes, there are lots of chinese people who converted, but the VAST majority did not and still remain under the easter religions. yes the boxer rebellion was violent, the chinese people were afraid of the westerners taking over their country, and rightfully so. how do you explain the thousands of years that the chinese people were, according to you, living in sin by not having accepted jesus, a religious figure they were not aware of?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 PM

Please refer to Acts 17:31, Acts 24:15 and Rev 20:15
Old 10-21-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't Christians think its strange that God choose not to spread his word to the entire human population?

does this suggest that Christianity is actually a man made invention and thus only exists in region it was invented?

Also, if a Christian has a Chinese friend, isn't it his duty to this person to do absolutely everything he can, including physical abuse and torture to convince the Chinese guy to save his soul and believe in Jesus?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been stunned at the number of christian asians in the US. It's ridiculous. It's ok for the commies to burn, apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be quite a lot of Christian persecution going on in China these days. See following link:
http://www.persecution.net/country/china.htm Be sure to scroll down to the Persecution News section. That section has numerous articles on current Christian persecution in China and Tibet and all the stories listed concern China/Tibet only.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 AM

Splendour you aren't seeing the big picture here. you are listing all these historical attempts to evangelize Chinese people but the fact is due to cultural/government influences, not as many people are able to come across Christianity as someone from North America would. So how is it fair that some people get born into a country like USA where it's easy to come across Christianity, compared to say someone born in North Korea where they don't have a single church?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 AM

Please refer to Acts 17:31, Acts 24:15 and Rev 20:15

Here's info on North Korean Christians:
http://www.persecution.net/country/north_korea.htm
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Splendour you aren't seeing the big picture here. you are listing all these historical attempts to evangelize Chinese people but the fact is due to cultural/government influences, not as many people are able to come across Christianity as someone from North America would. So how is it fair that some people get born into a country like USA where it's easy to come across Christianity, compared to say someone born in North Korea where they don't have a single church?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of ways to answer this question.

Many Christians believe in universal salvation. Christ died to save us all, not only those who were raised and remained Christian. The question is only troublesome assuming that non-Christians are immediately damned (or disadvantaged in any way), and many Christians don't take that assumption.

Other Christians, more in line with someone like Calvin, might say that we need to be careful with our human notions of "fairness." It's the idea of epistemic humility. God makes things good. God makes things fair. Contrast that with Aquinas' (and others of course) idea that God is good and fair, etc. etc. So ya, some Christians would acknowledge that some people may be damned without ever hearing a word of the gospels. Tough cookies. I imagine the conversation going something like this (book of Job type [censored]):

Chinese person: "But I never even heard your name!"
God: "Tough break buddy to hell you go."
Chinese person: "But that's not FAIR!"
God: "Hey where were you when I created the world? How bout when I made mankind? gtfo."

And other Christians might sorta ignore the issue altogether, deferring judgment to God. Some people might call that a cop-out, but I think it makes sense. It's one of those things we can't hope to answer definitively, so it might be better to just cross that bridge when we come to it.

My personal opinion? I hope we all go back to where we came from, be it the ground or space or wherever else. If that's not how it works I don't think I'll be in a position to complain however.