Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 07:35 AM

Default OT: Trip Report - Vegas

So, JacKnight (a poker-playing physician like Irieguy, and an official T.V. pro tournament winner, for those that don't know him) invites me to head back to Vegas... "like whenever dude."

I figure that the week before he gets hitched is as good as any.

So off I go, last Monday. I race IrieMom up the I-15. As far as I know, I won, since she had grandkids and stuff to deal with. Although she has made the O.C. to Vegas run in under 2 hours. At least according to SFB.

First impressions: Vegas is rigged. My car battery dies immediately upon arrival. So I rejoin AAA and get it jumped. The tow truck dude says I should stop by AutoZone and get my battery checked. The Slim Pickens-type dude at AutoZone somehow hauls the battery tester out to my hot rod. During the test, my battery starts emitting smoke. Surprisingly, it fails the test. New battery.

Meanwhile, JacKnight's swimming pool is BUSTO. I run into the pool dude, who says "I replaced the motor, but the seal was bad. So I replaced the seal, but the infuser was bad."
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Whatever dude, just fix the damn thing.

So F it, off to Marrakech with JacKinght to meet Irieguy, The Alan Sass, and their two hottie companions. Next time you are in Vegas, go to Marrakech. It is the stone-cold nuts. Belly dancers amidst a 23234523452345-course meal for not all that much coin. Order the Veuve Clicquot champagne and prepare to be floored. Everyone tried to get me to dance with the belly dancer, but I was too grumpy and not drunk enough. So JacKnight explained her heritage to us instead. (No, I don't know how he knows, but I can guess. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

So the next day I take care of various crap like closing my safe deposit box and getting my car registered in NV cause it can't pass the CA smog test, then it's off to Caesar's.

For a 120+30 tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Caesar's used to be cool, WTF? I'm not tipping if I final table. Which isn't a concern, as it turns out. I play one hand in two hours, TT<K9o, thanks for playing. Plus nobody else at the table says a word the entire time. Worst multi evar.

Off to Red Rock the next day with JacKnight. Sweet location, sweet tables. I decide to short-stack the 2/5 NL game for $200. It has 7-8 people seeing each flop on most hands. Very very easy to short-stack for free cabbage. So of course I drop $600 in fairly short order. Off to Orleans for a change of scenery, where I manage to win $50 at 1/2 NL. ZOMG!!!!!!111!!!!!

I grump my way back to the humble abode, wake up the next day, and the swimming pool is still BUSTO. RIGGED. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So now it's Friday since I skipped some stuff, or maybe I slept through an entire day, I'm not sure. But it's off to the Venetian for their $200 tournament. Present: Irieguy, Creeper (who lived on a piece of plywood across the beams of SFB's garage for a summer, no joke), Zen, stupidsucker, Blake (some P5 dude [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), and JacKnight. I accumulate for a couple of hours, then lose a coinflip BvB, GG me.

I tell JacKnight I'm never coming back to Vegas because it is rigged. Then I go over to the 1/2 NL table and drop a quick $100. F Vegas.

Then some dude leaves, and I change my seat to get position on the table donkey. Who proceeds to donate $700 to me in about 25 minutes. Maybe there is hope after all. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

So the donator leaves and I decide to roll as well. Back at the abode, the pool is finally robusto. Nice. So I take a swim under the stars and contemplate life. Maybe Vegas isn't so bad after all.

Then I log on, and SFB has left me 123516431134 puzzling PM's. So I guess I better be getting on back...
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: OT: Trip Report - Vegas

a happy ending ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Nice trip report. Somehow I miss you bitchin about getting sucked out on. It's like when it was happening twice daily I was like OMG NOT AGAIN, OH THE HUMANITY, MAKE IT STOP.
But now, I'm like, what's up with pineapple? TT<K9, oh, that sucks bro, I know what that's like.
BTW, I would much rather full buyin at 1/2, 1/3 than shortstack nl 500 in vegas as a lot of the profit does come from hitting big hands and stacking fools, imo. Plus variance seems to go up a lot for shortstackers live. I can get away from hands pretty easy with a full stack, but with a shortstack you are pot comitted with top pair pretty often.
Nice comeback btw.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a happy ending ! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's why I decided to post it, cause if Pineapple has hope, everyone should have hope [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pretty boring trip report really, I should have put that in the subject line, my apologies to anyone who expected scrippas n stuff. Next time. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I would much rather full buyin at 1/2, 1/3 than shortstack nl 500 in vegas as a lot of the profit does come from hitting big hands and stacking fools, imo. Plus variance seems to go up a lot for shortstackers live. I can get away from hands pretty easy with a full stack, but with a shortstack you are pot comitted with top pair pretty often.
Nice comeback btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

All correct, but they were only running one 1/2 table with a long wait, and I didn't want to play scared at 2/5 so I cleverly short-stacked. For The Loss. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 PM

I thought it was interesting. Lots of little tidbits like the dude sleeping in the rafters of SFB's garage for the summer.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM

nice report.

What the hell did Caesars do with their $130 tourney? The rake was way less in that, wasn't it?
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM

A proper Vegas trip report from an aspiring screenwriter should start with FADE IN: and end with FADE OUT:
Old 08-12-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice report.

What the hell did Caesars do with their $130 tourney? The rake was way less in that, wasn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. They basically f'd up everything wrt MTTs except there is a weekend $300+30 (LOL at the same rake that I paid) that is reasonably deep-stacked and supposedly decent.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A proper Vegas trip report from an aspiring screenwriter should start with FADE IN: and end with FADE OUT:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not aspiring any more. I've moved up to pre-professional. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]