Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Professional No-Limit Hold \'em study group

Hi all,

It turns out it takes 1-2 weeks for Amazon to get books and send them. Barnes and Noble can take 3-4 weeks - guess their distribution is slow, plus Amazon is cheapest among the big retailers at 19.77. Conjelco and ProfessionalPoker have them sooner (like now), not sure of price.

Sunny and I will be helping to moderate a study group for PNL 1. We're going to hold off until the bulk of the books get out, probably 2-3 weeks. If this is the right place we'd like to hold it here.

We really want this to be hands-on. Ask any questions you like. We'll respond and throw additional ideas in, plus there are a lot of strong players here who can answer questions.

Matt

EDIT: Here are some other PNL-related threads to look at as well:

review thread in Books forum

discussion in SSNL forum

Full Ring forum thread
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em study group

Man, I ordered from Amazon and was looking forward to getting this early next week. Looks like that's not happening...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:52 PM

The Euro crowd can hear baby jesus cry ... are we really supposed to order from the US and pay sick shipping to be part of this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM

the shippings slightly more expensive than the book lol [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] but meh, the dollers so weak atm its still cheap(ish) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 03:55 PM

found this blog on the book you mention above, with the following quote from a poster in a thread or whatever (just trying to get info on the book):

"I am struggling with the notion or process of controlling pot size especially out of position.

I am playing .5/1 NL 100max at Party. This is a hypothetical situation but one which I am struggling to get to grips with. Say I am in UTG+1 I raise to $3 with KK and get one caller in LP. Caller has same stack size as me at $100.

Flop comes Q73 rainbow I bet $5 into the $7.5 pot and LP calls. I never find it easy after this point when I have raised and then get called on the flop and we have deep stacks. How should I proceed now. It is these way ahead or way behind situations that are so difficult to get to grips with(I am hoping your new book helps a lot with this). If the stacks are a lot shallower then I probably have to go all the way here. But I have read about controlling pot size when in position but not when out of position. I know most of these sort of situations are player dependant but lets assume the caller is a splid player. Thanks"

am i missing something here? is this book geared more towards complete donks who know what good hands are but have absolutely horrendous post flop skills?

the author of the column ( column here ) touts that this book is geared towards the intermediate player, but i dunno if that's the case...
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 PM

The TOC looks fairly basic, tho if you are not a veteran on these boards it will be a revelation

But we are all looking forward to volume two .... now Matt and Sunny, stop moderating study groups and get writing ... let's gogogogogo (watch out for hungry and sleepy tho)

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Euro crowd can hear baby jesus cry ... are we really supposed to order from the US and pay sick shipping to be part of this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well ... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ordered it [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] And stox's limit book.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
found this blog on the book you mention above, with the following quote from a poster in a thread or whatever (just trying to get info on the book):

"I am struggling with the notion or process of controlling pot size especially out of position.

I am playing .5/1 NL 100max at Party. This is a hypothetical situation but one which I am struggling to get to grips with. Say I am in UTG+1 I raise to $3 with KK and get one caller in LP. Caller has same stack size as me at $100.

Flop comes Q73 rainbow I bet $5 into the $7.5 pot and LP calls. I never find it easy after this point when I have raised and then get called on the flop and we have deep stacks. How should I proceed now. It is these way ahead or way behind situations that are so difficult to get to grips with(I am hoping your new book helps a lot with this). If the stacks are a lot shallower then I probably have to go all the way here. But I have read about controlling pot size when in position but not when out of position. I know most of these sort of situations are player dependant but lets assume the caller is a splid player. Thanks"

am i missing something here? is this book geared more towards complete donks who know what good hands are but have absolutely horrendous post flop skills?

the author of the column ( column here ) touts that this book is geared towards the intermediate player, but i dunno if that's the case...

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought this was a pretty bad example. Even if villain is a splid player, we are likely way ahead here. Villain could have a Q, a lower pair (e.g. 88 or 76), or could be floating with two unpaired cards (maybe a gutterball), intending to take it away on the turn. It's also possible he could have flopped a set, but highly unlikely that he has two pair (because it would have to be Q7, Q3 or 73). I think going for a checkraise would be the best way to play the turn. Even if the initial raise of 3bb was wrong or bad, this hand could easily be salvaged.

Playing out of position with one pair can be tricky though when the board is more coordinated and your opponent is capable of trying to take the pot away from you and put you to tough decisions on both the turn and the river. Luckily for us there aren't too many players like that at uNL.

Anyway, looking forward to the book and study group.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:26 PM

I'd never check raise the turn in this situation.

I'd lead again and check/call every now and again.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am i missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yeah, the next 60 pages of SPR after that intro excerpt.