Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Default books writer: Haruki Murakami

He has conquered the whole world with his writing, Haruki Murakami. I am not sure if many or even if anybody on this forum is familiar with his work. This Japanse writer sells books all around the world but I am not sure how known he is in America.

My first familiarisation with Haruki Murakami was a tv show where I saw Tim Crabbe talking about how wonderfull this writer is. Normally I am not a big book fan and havent finished a book in probably 10years but these book were onces I defenitly wanted to check out.

Haruki Murakami is a writer who only wants to write and lives an isolated life. He wakes up at 4 in the morning and goes to bet at 9. This writer doesnt want to be a known Japanse or well known writer, he just lives to write. His stories are humerous and surreal and at the same time reflects an essential alienation, loneliness, and longing for love.

Books I have read:

1) The elephant vanishes
This is the first book I have read from this Japanse writer, its a bundel of stories with a surrealistic treatment. Haruki Murakami exceeds each time to stay on the border between dream and reality. Immediatly after finishing this book I was hungry for more. I can't really explain but his writing is really good and this book is a real pageturner. His stories are kind of vage and dont have a ending, its really about life. I have lend this book to two of my friends(both female) and they finished it in a week loving the stories.

2)A Wild Sheep Chase
This lunatic titel had caught my attention after reading good reviews looking for a new book to read after the elephant vanishes. The story is about a reporter who goes with its girlfriend, a little girl with sensational beautiful ears, in search to a very special sheep with an star on the back. He is forced for that purpose by a sinister dude who is following orders from the leader. A friend had send him a picture of this sheep and he published it, this photograph is the only indication he gets to find this sheep. If he doesnt find this sheep it could be the end of the world. This story might sound really weird but this was really the best book I have ever read, and you should really check this one out.

3)Norwegian wood
This is the book which made Haruki Murkami famous. The story is more realistic than his other books and doesn't have many surreal elements. Still this book will keep you reading. The story is about a quite and serious student in Tokio and his relationship with a beautifull young women. They both suffered a terrible loss when their best friend died. I can't really tell to much about this story it would spoil to much but its a really good book and I finished it a couple of weeks ago. However I found that there was allot of sex in this book but I dont know if thats a problem with you. Millions of copies were sold of this book.

4)Kafka on the Shore
This is the book I am currently reading.

interview with Haruki Murakami
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: books writer: Haruki Murakami

I haven't read Murakami yet, I now have some on the way, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:57 PM

I liked The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is also good.
He's one of my favorite writers. I think I've read all his books to date.
I would stay away from Norwegian Wood and South by Southwest? (something like that).
Old 06-30-2007, 06:13 PM

The Wind up Bird chronicle is one of the best books i have ever read. I've read it in 2 languages, multiple times. amazing book. His writing style is very unique, and lots of fun to read. I've also read Norwegian wood, but didn't like it as much. I thought it was well written but I couldn't really get into it for some reason. Also, i haven't read his stuff in a few years, which reminds me that I should probably reread the Chronicle again....
Old 06-30-2007, 06:41 PM

I read his Dance, Dance, Dance in high school, and to date, it is still one of my favorite books. He is really a great writer.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 PM

I'm about halfway through his newest book atm, I'll report back with my thoughts. In general he's one of my favorite writers.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM

http://msittig.freeshell.org/docs/Mu...fect_Girl.html

One of the best short stories I've ever read, probably the best. This guy rules.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the best short stories I've ever read, probably the best. This guy rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow, pretty amazing! I'm definitely going to pick up one of these books this week.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I kinda feel Enternal Sunshine ripped this guy's idea. Its pretty similar.