Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Instant ruin: a lifetime of work down the drain due to 1 bad decis

That is a really common auctioneer scam. You have to be really careful with the smaller auction sites especially if you don't plan on attending.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 AM

I'm not sure I understand the whole scam because I don't know a thing about how auctions work.

What does the auctioneer get out of it?
Is he colluding with those who are purchasing the items and they are giving him extra bucks under the table in order to buy the stuff so cheaply?
Or it's just a bunch of friends of his and he let them have the items for super-cheap?

I'm an idiot so I need further explanation on this one.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand the whole scam because I don't know a thing about how auctions work.

What does the auctioneer get out of it?
Is he colluding with those who are purchasing the items and they are giving him extra bucks under the table in order to buy the stuff so cheaply?
Or it's just a bunch of friends of his and he let them have the items for super-cheap?

I'm an idiot so I need further explanation on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty straightforward. <ul type="square">[*]Woman hires Slimeball to sell stuff. (I expect he receives some percent of the sale price.)[*]Slimeball doesn't promote the auction, essentially bringing only his buddy to the show.[*]Buddy bids $0.01 for each item and wins.[*]Slimeball keeps his percentage of those pennies, gives the rest to the woman.[/list]
Old 06-02-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems pretty straightforward. <ul type="square">[*]Woman hires Slimeball to sell stuff. (I expect he receives some percent of the sale price.)[*]Slimeball doesn't promote the auction, essentially bringing only his buddy to the show.[*]Buddy bids $0.01 for each item and wins.[*]Slimeball keeps his percentage of those pennies, gives the rest to the woman.[/list]
[/ QUOTE ]

<ul type="square">[*] Slimball's friends sell stuff for real price and PROFIT[/list]
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 AM

I got second in the PCA for 860k and moved the money through neteller on the way to my bank account. 800k is stuck. Hopefully it all works out, but if it doesn't I may not only be out nearly a mill, I'm probably still expected to pay taxes on it.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 AM

James and his fiance Sarah were in my crowd of friends at university here in London, and his brother was for a while my best friend. On holiday in an idyllic spot on the coast of Ireland, after a night's partying James and a girl called Heather decided to go for a dawn swim:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/artic...7319225!7001!-1

Read the article and you will get a picture how contented and promising their lives were. I wasn't in touch with them any more by the time this happened, but it profoundly shocked me. I went to the memorial service which was one of the most moving and emotional experiences of my life. I still find it difficult to accept that one quick unthought decision could have such fatal consequences. Seeing the hundred or so friends and relatives gathered in a park days after he died, realising how many lives he had affected. Death felt so much closer after this.

It made me see on the one hand that one action can ruin or end your life; but also in seeing how full and well-lived James' life was, I momentarily realised the value of just being alive and the importance of making the best of it while you can.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 AM

A rich man who decides its a good idea to run a dog fighting operation on one of his properties has to be near the top of the list.

Also, most of the insider traders who got nabbed in the early '90's would fit this bill.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM

One of my friends spent $30,000 and the last 3 years of his life going to mechanics school to become an Audi technician.

He got a bike about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago he got pulled over going 120 mph in a 65. (I don't know why he pulled over... probably because he doesn't have much experience.)

The judge fined him, and suspended his license for 60 days. Without a license, he is useless to his employer. He will probably be fired. They were helping him pay for school too.

Stupid decisions can really have far reaching after effects.

He is appealing the decision, who knows how that will go.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He got a bike about 3 months ago. About 2 months ago he got pulled over going 120 mph in a 65. (I don't know why he pulled over... probably because he doesn't have much experience.)

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hijack, but people who ride motorcycles say this all the time. To me it just sounds like BS dick waving. Is it really the norm to run from the police on a crotch rocket?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A rich man who decides its a good idea to run a dog fighting operation on one of his properties has to be near the top of the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if Vick never played a down in the NFL again, I'd be highly surprised if he were ruined.