Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Interview... the internal kind

So, I'm up for a possible promotion at work and I have an interview tomorrow. I'm looking for suggestions/experiences from internal interviews (vs external). I've done a million external and feel really confident about them. Are there any differences between the two? Anything I should definitely do or not do? Have you any of you even been the interviewer in a situation like this? I have it at 2pm tomorrow. Any tips or experiences would be awesome. FWIW I work for a large corporation, but am familiar with the people that will be interviewing me.

Thanks guys... wish me luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Interview... the internal kind

Don't have any advice as I really haven't had an internal interview before, but good luck FFK. I think it would be easier for you knowing that you know the interviewer(s). Only thing that I would think of off the top of my head would be not to talk to them like you usually do (ie friendly chat etc) but don't make it obvious that you're trying to be someone that you're not - don't know how to put into words what I'm trying to say.

Make sure you let OOT how the interview goes. All the best.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Holy crap. That's a toughie.

Some ideas that spring to my mind (I've been interviewing lots the past two weeks):

- thoughts on how your relationship with new coworkers and old coworkers would change. Is your supervisor supportive?
- don't ask who else is applying for the job or comment on speculation (goes without saying, I think...but you never know!)
- how much do you know about the department you might be moving to? build some questions around that? suggest any research you've done on your own on it?
- how would this move develop your role in the company and your own personal goals?
- do they have preconceptions of you and your work ethic? what of you and theirs?
- don't assume they know your work track record. What they know of you may have been based on cafeteria talk or whatever; don't undersell yourself as a result of not wanting to be braggy!

(is it nerdy that my list seems so long??!!?)

Anyhow, good luck!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 AM

FFK, some thoughts:

- show up with a two liter of Pepsi and a dozen or so Taco Bell tacos and ask everyone if they want some. The thoughtfulness will be points in your favor.
- provide URLs to some of your better posts on this site...preferably ones made on company time
- be sure to mention you've heard about their "fishy" international ties to the CIA
- feel free to use me as a reference (have them register on 2+2 and PM me their questions. I will respond promptly)
- mention that you know that Coke used originally contained cocaine and that it's a shame they took it out cuz now you have to snort a few lines to get the same effect
- regarding the above, ask if there's gonna be a drug test for an internal transfer and if so ask how far in advance you will know

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:51 AM

Definitely find out who is going to interview you, find out about them if possible.
If you're in good terms with your supervisor, talk to them and see if they have any pointers for you. Or seek advice from people that's been in your position and share their thoughts.
Since it's internal, they will know about the company and what they do in more detail, so be prepared to go into detail of your accomplishments and any cooperation that you've had with other departments, might mention a few names too to show your familiarity.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- mention that you know that Coke used originally contained cocaine and that it's a shame they took it out cuz now you have to snort a few lines to get the same effect

[/ QUOTE ]

This totally reminded me of an SNL skit featuring Will Ferrell from a few years ago called "Angry Boss"

Secretary: [ tending a personal call ] Car accident?! Oh, my God, is he okay..?

Mr. Tarkanian: HEY!! HEY!! NOT ON MY WATCH!! NO PERSONAL PHONE CALLS!! ALRIGHT?! I SHOULD POUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH!! USE COMPANY TIME TO TALK TO YOUR DISGUSTING WHORE FRIENDS?!! NO!! [ hangs up phone ] YOU DO NOT DO THIS!! YOU DO NOT!! [ bitch-slaps her ]

Secretary: [ cries ]

Mr. Tarkanian: [ casually returns to his desk ] Hey-ey-ey! Just takin' care of some business! You want to go out for a beer and celebrate?

Job Applicant: I-I-I don't think I want to work here..

Mr. Tarkanian: [ primal scream ] I am a STRONG man!! ANYONE in this office, take a RUN AT ME!!

Scott Jurgenson: [ enters carrying a trident and a net ]
Mr. Tarkanian!! I am ready to take you!! I have been LIFTING WEIGHTS and doing COCAINE all day!! And I want a BIG PIECE of YOU, sir!!

Mr. Tarkanian: [ excited ] OHHHHHH!!! SCOTT JURGENSON!! I LOVE it!! I am ACTUALLY gonna MURDER YOU!!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 AM

OK, serious thoughts.

Knowing these people is huge. Having people that you both know is huge. Having the common bond of the same employer is huge. Granted, other people they're meeting may have those same advantages but you didn't mention whether all the current candidates are internal or not. Bottom line, it's instant rapport building.

I'm going to disagree with pi's point about asking about other applicants. It's actually something I advise. First off, it's something you want to know. Secondly, it implies that you're interested in the position - there's an old saying in hiring, "the company will never be the first to say 'I love you'", meaning candidates need to step up to the plate and show their enthusiasm because not all employers can read minds and aren't likely to engage with someone who is aloof. Asking about other applicants shows that you care. Honestly, I don't see a downside to that at all.

Final tip that I would advise to anyone interviewing, period: before you finish, ask them "how [they] see the fit" for you in that role. This gives you a chance for you to feel them out. A couple of things could happen here - they could say it's a great fit (and you hope they're not lying) or they could express concern about a specific area of your experience that they feel you're light in, etc. This gives you a chance to sell back your qualifications and overcome a potential area of concern. And again, it implies your interest in the position. Even if you're not sure you want the job, you probably at least want the offer.

Anyway, if you feel you excel in meetings with new employers, you should do fine here. They're a ton easier in my experience.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
might mention a few names too to show your familiarity.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, name dropping is huge. HUGE. The only potential downside is if they don't like the person whose name you're dropping, which is rare. But you can probably tell by their body language and react accordingly.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to disagree with pi's point about asking about other applicants. It's actually something I advise. Honestly, I don't see a downside to that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I agree with you in terms of showing iniative and interest. I guess I just meant steer away from it sliding into talking crap about any of your competitors or talking too much about other people instead of selling yourself.

I remember one time a manager at a job I had commented on someone they interviewed for an internal position. The person only used the opportunity to complain about their current job, how badly they wanted out of it and why they were better than someone else applying. Obviously, they were a numbskull, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I guess I'm just hyper aware of it. It just seems a little more unusual than an external interview because most times you probably already know via gossip who has applied.

tuqpqp; you work in HR, right?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:25 AM

pi,

I am an agency recruiter. HR is usually a group we try to bypass unless they're particularly effective or we need them as allies. In the case of HR, their allegiance can usually be bought at Krispy Kreme. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Your example seems to have less to do with asking about others and more to do with that person's crippling interview flaw: being negative. Nobody wants to work with a bitchy person whether their gripes have merit or not.

Also, I meant a generic "how many other candidates are there?", not asking for specific names or expressing knowledge of who they are. That would be good information to know but not share.