Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Context?

I don't buy the "You had to live through it" theory.

Henry Fonda made the exact same movie as Dr Strangelove, at about the exact same time. His was called "FailSafe", and it was a drama, not a comedy. Exact same plot: computer error sends bomber group to nuke Russia; US President tries to chill out his USSR counterpart on the phone; top military advisers start thinking about wiping out the commie bastards since the fight is on; US and USSR try to work to together to stop the bomber group, but since the sides don't trust each other, they screw it up....I'm telling you, it's the exact same movie, only a drama.

But the younger generation won't have any trouble "getting it". The drama comes through loud and clear.

I thought "Strangelove" was OK. I thought "FailSafe" was awesome.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Help me out with Dr. Strangelove...

[ QUOTE ]
See, it is responses like this in conversation that made me expect so much. Half of you quoted the movie...and they are funny parts...but they weren't laugh out loud funny. They are just kinda subversive giggling funny....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the point. Dr. Strangelove isn't a laugh out loud comedy. It is a dark, subversive, giggling sort of funny. If the reason that you think you "didn't get it" is because you weren't rolling on the floor, then maybe you really did get it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of the funniest movies in the last 20 years is "Heathers", but I've recommended the film to lots of people who hand it back after watching it and say I'm one sick guy. They didn't find it funny at all. Again, context.

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie was mandatory viewing for a composition class when I was in college.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:50 AM

I love the scene where Mandrake believes he's finally convinced Ripper to come clean.

Ripper walks into the bathroom.

"Right old chap, little water on the back of the neck'll do you good."

Ripper shoots himself in the head.

I definitely butchered the quote but who cares, that scene is great.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is exactly the point. Dr. Strangelove isn't a laugh out loud comedy. It is a dark, subversive, giggling sort of funny. If the reason that you think you "didn't get it" is because you weren't rolling on the floor, then maybe you really did get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post really hits it on the head. One of the great things about this movie is that they weren't trying (for the most part) to cram a LOL joke in every minute. The humor comes from the difficult problems these characters are put into and their earnest reactions to them.