Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 05-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Default AJo gets me into a sticky situation

PFR is TAGish, but I really don't have anything notable to say about anyone else. I think every street is debatable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a "misplayed on every street" or two from everyone. Thanks for the help.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (15 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: AJo gets me into a sticky situation

Looks fine except for the river raise. Just call.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Preflop is fine.

Your outs are sketchy on the flop, but you are getting 13:1 closing the action, so I don't think the peel is horrible or anything. (I don't know if it's good or not, but I would probably make it.)

I think the turn donk is okay. I'm not sure we can count on this getting bet if UTG now decides he has doubts after getting called by so many people. Plus, he could have hearts instead of a made hand.

Once UTG pops you on the turn, JT sure is looking like a likely holding. So I don't think I'd 3-bet.

The river action is strange. I guess UTG's hand wasn't so strong after all. And now why is CO waking up? Does he have 4h3h or something? Does he figure his KJ must be good after all? Did he really get to the river with A5/65, somehow?

CO can't have anything he played well (once we take the preflop cold-call into account), but I'm so confused at this point that I probably go for overcalls. UTG's hand doesn't seem like such a concern anymore, and if it is, he won't fold it anyway.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:30 PM

I particularly like the turn donk, because you've got a good shot at getting UTG to raise (which he did) and making some drawers call two cold to see the river.

I'd definitely call the river. Our hands not nearly strong enough to HOPE for pot building action, and we might as well get as many overcallers as possible.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:51 AM

After mulling it over, I realize that my river raise was pointless, and overcalls weren't a bad thing.

Villian turned over 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and MHING.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:58 AM

I like checking the turn if the players aren't generally passive. I think this rarely gets checked around and 1. getting value c/r an early bet is good, 2. protecting after an LP bets is good.

If we are fairly certain that SOMEONE will bet the turn... say 85% (arbitrary), then I'd rather try to get 2 in my way. Your donk doesn't guarantee a raise from a worse hand. Many hands will freeze up and just call making the draws profitable.

Even if UTG bets and everyone calls, then you raise Although you haven't "protected" your hand by increasing your chance of winning, you made more money by making people put in 2 bets when it was potentially unprofitable. If them putting in 2 is good for you, then you'd rather them put in 2 then have them fold.

Again, it all hinges on how likely it is for someone (anyone) to bet the turn.

PF good
Flop good
Turn ish
River raise bad

3-betting the turn is also an option, but probably not a very good one.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 AM

I fold the flop. I think you have like 4 outs counting normally (2 bds @ .5, and 2 overs @ 1.5). However, if you hit a card for one of the bds on the turn and the guy bets that is giving you 8:1 so you need at least 1 caller to make that a call. Combined with the fact that you have to deal with the flush draw (especially if another heart comes) and it probably makes the turn a fold even if you pick up the draw.

So now we're back to 3 outs for overs. I don't even like those that much because your A could be dominated by the pfr and your J could be reverse dominated by the ever popular JT that fish love so much. That combined with the flush = fold city for me.

As played I think I check the turn and see what happens. I don't think it will get checked around for a free card. I think if you bet and utg raises you're behind and the pot isn't so ridicliously large that you're trying to knock people out if you're behind. Also, if someone does have JT I think you'll hear from them now and you can ditch it for 2bb.

As played I agree with checking the river, when it is bet by the CO you have to decide if you're ahead. If you are, then I think a call is in order. If not, can you raise out a better hand. I think calling is the correct call on the river.

(I'm almost afraid to look and see how wrong I am now)
Old 05-20-2006, 08:03 AM

Just call the river, other than that I like it.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 AM

Misplayed every street

Preflop: Whatever
Flop: Fold
Turn: Check Call
River: Call
Old 05-20-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Misplayed every street

Preflop: Whatever

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! This is 6-max, and we're getting a likely 9:1.