Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Open-limping?

The best way to think about this is what are you trying to accomplish and what is likely to happen with remaining players after you open. Are really going to open raise 44 from MP with a couple lags yet to act or worse short stacks? The table your playing tends to dictate how aggressive you can be preflop. The closer I am to the button, generally, the more aggressive I am with everything because the likelyhood of a multiway pot is decreasing and I think its much better to be the aggressor heads up. I assume this will be the same when moving up past NL25. I figure, and I would like confirmation from others, that the further up you go the less multiway pots you run into. Therefore increased PF aggro is a good thing.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM

LOL I am just in game re-evaluation mode and looking at my numbers is depressing. I'm pretty sure 60k hands at a given level isn't a lot, but it's not that small either. I find that asking questions like and starting discussions helps me think more about my game (which I hope is a good thing) lol
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM

@OP:
I like to open limp with 22-99 from any position if:

- there are more than 3 shortstacks behind me (I can't call a 3bet from a shorty for set value and I don't want to push)

- if there are many calling stations (they don't fold enough to a c-bets)

NL200+ shorthanded:
- from middle or late position if the late position guys are 3betting light and won't stack off if I hit

well ... I'm not sure if that is a good strategy because those guys will notice that I only limp/call with pockets.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to think about this is what are you trying to accomplish and what is likely to happen with remaining players after you open. Are really going to open raise 44 from MP with a couple lags yet to act or worse short stacks? The table your playing tends to dictate how aggressive you can be preflop. The closer I am to the button, generally, the more aggressive I am with everything because the likelyhood of a multiway pot is decreasing and I think its much better to be the aggressor heads up. I assume this will be the same when moving up past NL25. I figure, and I would like confirmation from others, that the further up you go the less multiway pots you run into. Therefore increased PF aggro is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dig it, although I believe after a certain point it flip flops. Specifically, once you start seeing tight players who like to 3-bet light then raising loses it's luster as they will start forcing you off your hands.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I assume this will be the same when moving up past NL25. I figure, and I would like confirmation from others, that the further up you go the less multiway pots you run into.

[/ QUOTE ]They're still multiway for the most part just not 5-7 ways. They're are alot of 3-4 way pots at the $50. Depends how good you table select I suppose.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, who are these opponents that you are playing against that you are more worried about picking up on your tendencies than you are exploiting them?

[/ QUOTE ]

There doesn't seem to be many at NL25 who are paying attention. More than at NL10 maybe, but still not many. Besides most of the good players are multitabling so I find it hard to believe they are picking up on betting patterns or whether you always do this or that.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, who are these opponents that you are playing against that you are more worried about picking up on your tendencies than you are exploiting them?

[/ QUOTE ]

There doesn't seem to be many at NL25 who are paying attention. More than at NL10 maybe, but still not many. Besides most of the good players are multitabling so I find it hard to believe they are picking up on betting patterns or whether you always do this or that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I'm sure you caught the sarcasm.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has merits in every FR game from every position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear the merits for openlimping the CO/MP3
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has merits in every FR game from every position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear the merits for openlimping the CO/MP3

[/ QUOTE ]

thnk u [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM

in general it sucks

there are specific situations where its necessary though.

also you can develop a limping game, but its very difficult and probably not worth the effort.