Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Contributing to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, I think Mr Albright (I thought he was outed, but never mind) didn't realise we have top set and we should try to go all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

RT,

If you are maintaining that in 100% of cases, regardless of effective stack sizes, the number of opponents, the drawing possibilities of the flop and the sidecards to go with the top set pair, that one should seek to get allin on the flop, you are in error. And if you need it explained to you, then I would suggest reading or rereading Chen & Ankemann's book, which only touches on the math of the situations, and is aside from any considerations of balancing one's play.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Bluff,

I think in the games played online today if I have top set nuts and I was "offered" the chance to go all-in, I always would. (Although the other day I didn't pull the trigger on AAA simply because I wanted to lock in what I was sure was a lower set.)

Back to the article - I must admit I didnt much like it. The author seems to miss that for you to have shown so much stregnth - which he keeps on harping about - for your foe to just call he must be very likely to have a hand with more than 10 outs. Its as if he chose 10 outs just to balance his numbers.

gl

bdd
Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM

Dave,

That still isn't the right play with all stack sizes when the opponent (or opponents collectively) can have a very big draw. In the situations where it applies, it isn't a matter of opinion, but of math. Read Chen/Ankemann as I said for a full explanation.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluff,

I think in the games played online today if I have top set nuts and I was "offered" the chance to go all-in, I always would. (Although the other day I didn't pull the trigger on AAA simply because I wanted to lock in what I was sure was a lower set.)

Back to the article - I must admit I didnt much like it. The author seems to miss that for you to have shown so much stregnth - which he keeps on harping about - for your foe to just call he must be very likely to have a hand with more than 10 outs. Its as if he chose 10 outs just to balance his numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really not about this single hand with these exact stack sizes and an exact 10 out drawer drawing on you. It's knowing cold (memorizing/sensing) the inflection points on when you can use a certain strategy, and what the important factors are that you need to consider.

Of course if you are playing vs a bad aggro opponent who calls or raises light, then you can run the numbers for 8 outs. Or if you are against someone who will only call with correct pot odds, then you have to move the number up.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM

There's been a change to "Contribute to the Two Plus Two Internet Magazine" page. This has been added.

...some articles will be selected for translation into German and will appear on PokerOlymp. An additional fee of $100 (per article) will be paid for all selected articles. Again after three months these translated articles will come down from www.PokerOlymp.de and all rights are then returned to the authors. These translations will be used for no other purposes without the permission from the authors.