Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-02-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: why do you like the music you like?

Dom,

If you're going to bring up Tom Petty in a discussion of good lyrics, and then not mention Mary Jane's Last Dance, I won't let that stand.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dom,

If you're going to bring up Tom Petty in a discussion of good lyrics, and then not mention Mary Jane's Last Dance, I won't let that stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Petty had hundreds of great songs...he's probably one of America's best songwriters, ever...and yet you never hear much critical praise for him...of Petty's later songs, I'd have to go with The Last DJ, though.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:05 PM

i find myself strongly attracted to eccentric artists
at the zenith of their collaberative efforts. the short
list of artists and the recordings which have earned
my highest regard:

yes -- yessongs
veruca salt -- american thighs
akino arai -- furu parachina

what's the connection?
the sheer adrenaline, artistic gushing that these groups
put into these albums. for example: the energy in the
jam at the end of "Yours is no disgrace" in yessongs;
the highly poetic self-expression in "Celebrate You"
and "Twinstar" ( american thighs ), and the hauntingly
beautiful ode to love and dieing in "ai no ondo" on
furu parachina. ( temperate of love; raining platinum )
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM

To really appreciate rap, I think people have to witness free-styling. It may look face, and yes, there is a bunch of borrowing from other songs, etc. I used to help with building rap songs years ago, and to sit around and watch 6 rappers "spit," is amazing and intimitating, because the free-style would start at one person then go around in a circle. When it was my turn... I passed, obv. I have tried it, but I'm a total idiot. Underground stuff is far superior to the mainstream as far as lyrical content goes.

I though it about it a tad more, and yes, I agree that eminem's older stuff is better. For kicks, you should look up his stuff before he became big: there is a love song to Kim, believe it or not.

My favorite phrase of all time is from a New Orleans outfit called "The back Do' Ballas:" It was two guys and one girl. She delivered this line. If you can imagine a very slack jawed, laid back, but smooth delivery:

I'm a back do balla
Energized
Eveready to die hard with a vengeance
on a clip.

By the way, I do have a preference for female singers as well. People I know pick on me about it, but yes, I will be more excited to see a random album by a girl than a guy anytime of the day. Also, women tend to be better lyricists, IMO.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, I do have a preference for female singers as well. People I know pick on me about it, but yes, I will be more excited to see a random album by a girl than a guy anytime of the day. Also, women tend to be better lyricists, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm glad people have mentioned this, because I experience it too and I've always wondered if I was just crazy. It's funny how when you look at my music collection, 80% of the solo artists are female (excluding rappers), yet 80% of the bands are male, with either zero or one female member.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm glad people have mentioned this, because I experience it too and I've always wondered if I was just crazy. It's funny how when you look at my music collection, 80% of the solo artists are female (excluding rappers), yet 80% of the bands are male, with either zero or one female member.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also have this "female singer/songwriter" fetish [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again

[/ QUOTE ]

It’s funny you quote this. I had this discussion with a buddy of mine a while back. We never did figure out what “…played for mosquitos…” meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it means playing guitar to no audience, just the mosquitos.

Anyway, I guess I'm into both. I love great lyrics coupled with music made by talented players.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:53 PM

For me it all started with Dark Side of the Moon at age 10 - yes - I was exposed to one of the best rock albums ever and went right from kiddie music to the big leagues. That's why I grew to like Psychedelic rock, Alternative rock, Electronica, and Jazz cause quite frankly that one album had it all.

It's definitely about the music first, but good and even quirky lyrics help.