Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Default AJs, low board, weird turn line

Villain is running 23/18 for the session.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $13.10
UTG: $14.05
CO: $38.75
Hero (BTN): $19.80
SB: $34.40

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $3</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($6.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>, SB calls $2.50

Turn: ($11.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $28.90 and is All-In, Hero scratches his head and runs to 2+2...</font>

I don't like my line here at all, normally I would fold this preflop but the guy was being somewhat spewy throughout the session. Small bet into the flop for info, call tells me he's either drawing or made, he's obv. not protecting a miss or marginal anything here.

I'm not understanding his turn line at all. If he was drawing, I'm confident that 3 of hearts didn't complete him. I don't put him on a PF raise range that includes either a 9 or a 10, even though he is nutty. This is a sure fold for me in 99% of situations, but do y'all think we can get away with a call here? This look like him trying to push me out, or a perverted value bet? Can I fold given how much I've already put in? I'm not one to show down with A J high but this hand is tilting me.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: AJs, low board, weird turn line

This hand was very poorly played IMHO. I don't mind the prefold so much but your flop play is suspect to say the least. If you going to C/bet at least bet 3/4th the pot. Once he calls the flop I would go down into shut down mode and try and check it down. Also that turn bet is awful for what I believe are obvious reasons.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:06 PM

This is a pure value bet. Villain is not raising to $30, he is raising to $15, which is pot sized and a perfectly reasonable bet from a hand that can beat ace high.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Firstly your play is needless! the pre flop call is fine against a player that is spewy/too aggressive - you want to be hitting your A or J and letting him bet then!

If you miss check and fold! This is not the way to win money from someone that is spewing!!! There are so many better spots to get him to put his money in the middle.

I would not call or bet the flop or the turn.

What I would do is this:
i)sit in with the max
ii) begin to raise alot of hands like KQ/JQ/Q10 into this player hoping he will pay you off when you hit a pair with a decent kicker. And fold alot of hands you might open like 76s etc... as you are looking for a made hand vs this person, not a semibluffing hand.

Sorry if this post seems rude - it was not intended that way. Im just a passionate writer.

But if you made the hero call and it worked out for you NH sir!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM

preflop is fine especially since he probably thinks your range is pretty wide. On the flop if you're going to cbet (which I'd usually do unless he doesn't fold to them often or likes to float/play back) make a real bet to $5 or so, since this is a fairly drawy board. Once he calls I shut down and just check through turn and c/f river unimproved.

If you're seriously thinking about calling here I'd suggest taking a break from the game and reading the forums more. Actually judging by your other post (the minraise war) I think it would be a really good idea for you to go through the stickied threads at the top of the forum before playing again.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks all! I may consider it. Very tilted these last few days.