Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 PM

Default .02/.05 weird river check raise

no reads... only played about 20 hands

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($5.01)
Hero ($5.40)
Button ($2.36)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.1</font>, Hero calls $0.10.

Turn: ($0.30) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.15</font>, Hero calls $0.15.

River: ($0.60) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $0.65</font>, Hero says what???
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: .02/.05 weird river check raise

any help appreciated
Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM

I have 3 guesses:
1. He hit his king (unlikely, but maybe he had KQ)
2. He's holding a stronger queen than yours and read weakness in your river bet.
3. He had a flush draw and is trying to bluff you out (you did make a weak river bet).
4. He's been slowplaying a monster and is trying to get value out of you.

I'd say 2 and 4 are most likely, just off the top of my head. Two because he might have been looking for a TP showdown, but then saw the weak bet, and 4 because check-raise is a common monster line. Your hand really can't stand any heat (what could you possibly beat here?). I'd fold here and wait for a better shot. Keep an eye on him for reads.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM

Check behind on the River - what worse hand calls? If you were bluffing you need to bet more than that because any Q calls. I wouldn't bluff there though.

As played, I guess I would have to fold simply because I have a bad hand but villain's line doesn't make a lot of sense and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a FD or an 8 or something.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:27 PM

yeah fold seems clear... am i wrong in thinking my bet can be a value bet?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A value bet requires you to have a reasonable expectation that he'll call with a worse hand. If you were holding AQ you might value bet hoping to get a call from QJ, maybe QT(but it's a bit thin since KQ, your other value caller, just had his ride come in). With Q4 though...most players without top pair are folding. Most players with top pair are calling and taking your money. Monsters or TPTK are raising. You can only really fold out Q5-Q7 about. And those are unlikely hands.

Betting here is a textbook example of making a bet that folds out hands worse than yours and gets called by hands better than yours.

The only case in which this is a value bet is one where you have a specific read that the villain will call you with 2P or something.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A value bet requires you to have a reasonable expectation that he'll call with a worse hand. If you were holding AQ you might value bet hoping to get a call from QJ, maybe QT(but it's a bit thin since KQ, your other value caller, just had his ride come in). With Q4 though...most players without top pair are folding. Most players with top pair are calling and taking your money. Monsters or TPTK are raising. You can only really fold out Q5-Q7 about. And those are unlikely hands.

Betting here is a textbook example of making a bet that folds out hands worse than yours and gets called by hands better than yours.

The only case in which this is a value bet is one where you have a specific read that the villain will call you with 2P or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahh thank you