Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-09-2007, 06:08 AM

Default moving up limits or multi-tabling

The facts...

Several months ago used to win around 2-3 BI, 2/4, in a 6 hour session, playing 2 tables (+a few nlhe) on ps.
(during the billionth promo, in an aim to boost vpp) increased the number of tables to 4, but ev significantly dropped to +1BI/break-even, but would still manage around +3BI from the fpp gained (excluding the vpp milestone rewards).
From day to day would switch from 2 tables to 4 and back depending on moods and the same applied.
Now thinking, whether it would be better to move up to 3/6 or 5/10(tougher games) 2 tables (+5-6 nlhe) or 4 tables (+2-3 nlhe) at same limits and aim at supernova elite(will start playing regularly unlike at present, but maybe still impossible, however many vpp milestone rewards on the way) next year.
You do gain more vpp playing stud(limit) than nlhe(lower limits).

General suggestions on multi-tabling vs moving up?

ty
Old 10-09-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: moving up limits or multi-tabling

3/6 is not really much tougher than 2/4. Is a buy-in 20 big bets? If so, 2-3 BI on average in 6 hours sounds pretty damn good
Old 10-09-2007, 06:16 AM

yeap ($80 at 2/4), I felt it was pretty good as well but couldn't stop working at the family business until next year. 3/6 from experience was quite tougher than 2/4(ofcourse that depends on the style you are playing).
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 AM

Okay, I play 2/4 to 3/6 stud8 on full tilt poker. There is a pool of players that play both 2/4 and 3/6, and I guess those are the better players at 2/4. There is also a pool of good players, that are regulars at 5/10 and higher. This is balanced out however by a lot of really bad fish taking shots at 3/6. There are many more such fish at 3/6 than at 2/4 in my experience. These latter player type is a big source money at 3/6.

Of course, apparently I play ridiculously weak-tight stud8, so maybe competition doesn't matter for me ;
Old 10-09-2007, 11:25 AM

If your question applies to Stud-Hi, then I would suggest you play 3/6 at PS. In addition to the advantage of keeping your winrate up by playing fewer tables at higher stakes, I have found the 3/6 stud games at PS to be the most profitable simply from the standpoint of their structure being better, i.e., the Ante is only $.25, the BI is $1 and the Completion is $3. The 3:1 ratio of Completion:BI is much better than the 2:1 ratio in PS's 1/2 and 2/4 stud games.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Are there even enough tables at these stakes to 4 table any of these games?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:28 PM

If your question applies only to PS, then you are probably not going to find four or more tables of 3/6 stud going except during peak evening hours in the US. But, if you play at both FTP and PS simultaneously, and are also willing to occasionally play some 2/4 or 5/10 when there aren't enough 3/6 games going at the two sites, you should be able to 4-table 24/7.

But honestly, how in the hell do you manage to play more than two tables of stud effectively without your winrate suffering too much?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:50 PM

It's not so hard if you accept not remembering all upcards
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM

Thank you for the suggestions.

Stud-Hi
But can one keep the same winrate by moving up to higher limits? Thats the dilemma, when you hear so many occasions of people blowing up bakrolls for the reason they have moved up to higher limits.
Regarding the ratios, you are right but then you adjust your preflop play to a tighter one when limits are higher but antes the same as the lower limits?!

FishSticks: From present time till around 1am(US) you can almost always find 3-8 2/4 tables on ps

PS is a must because if the games are split then you loose from the vip programme.
You are refering to the actual problem yourself there wahoo. The actual winrate does suffer a lot from +2-3BI to +1BI/break-even (even though most of it is covered by the extra vpp you gain in the meantime).

roggles: true, ofcourse nobody can keep up with all the upcards having 4 open tables (along with 2-3nlhe), but what is doable is again tighten up preflop hence you are not playing simultaneously on all 4 tables. And I like that as by switching from 2 tables to 4 you tighten up your game, hence it becomes too random for other players to figure what you are playing with at any time.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 PM

There's a big VPP/hand jump at 5/10 that would swing me in favor of moving up, I think.

I've been playing three tables of hi/lo recently without much difficulty keeping track of upcards etc.