Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Razz Line check

Ok so I'm not a total razz noob but the finer nuances of the game are lost on me so far. I played this last night - is this ok to peel third with decent hole cards or is it pure chasing?

Razz ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

River - (7.30 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (11.30 BB - $22.60)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot $22.60 | Rake $1

Note: this site shuffles the hole cards.

Seat 6: [7s Ad 6h 5s 7c 9d As] - 9,7,6,5,A

</font>
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Razz Line check

I would advise folding 3rd in hands like this one. 5th, 6th and 7th are fine.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:00 AM

Right, fold 3rd, 4th is OK but folding isn't terrible.

I'd probably take an opportunity to bet 5th because your equity is nice and the guy after you might take the opportunity to raise and maybe chase out some of the other hands which is usually good for you. 7th is good.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 AM

Fold third. This is not a fine nuance. This is basic razz strategy. Read SOP. The rest looks OK.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, fold 3rd, 4th is OK but folding isn't terrible.

I'd probably take an opportunity to bet 5th because your equity is nice and the guy after you might take the opportunity to raise and maybe chase out some of the other hands which is usually good for you. 7th is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about it this way OP, what are you trying to achieve by calling 3rd? You figure you have a small chance to make a great hand and it's cheap to just call a completion. Trouble is you're going to need a great hand to win a 4-way pot since hoping all 3 villains are going to brick as badly as I normally do is pure folly. This is a leak you need to plug. By 5th st, you get everything you hoped for: you have caught perfect twice, have a wheel draw, the PFR has folded out of the hand, and you get bet into with a call in between. Raising here is the only thing that could come close to atoning for the call on 3rd.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:37 PM

I think the biggest reason not to call here is that Seat 5 completed in fairly early position, suggesting a fairly good hand, and there were two callers already. There are some times to peel third, but with those factors, I think it's always wrong.