Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Cash Games At the Rio During the WSOP

Why---
Risk---- Reward
Over the year(yep there have been many) players that sit in hi variance games go broke, bust, rail etc.

It may look JUICY as some say but the risk to reward has to be factored in.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why---
Risk---- Reward
Over the year(yep there have been many) players that sit in hi variance games go broke, bust, rail etc.

It may look JUICY as some say but the risk to reward has to be factored in.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can't risk in games of that caliber, the style of games other players dream about, then you shouldn't be playing that limit. And if the game your talking about is something as low as 1/2nl - then you shouldn't be playing live poker - move down to 40nl online until you feel comfortable in that type of loose environment. The overwhelming profit comes from loose opponents, avoiding loose games at the limit you are rolled for is like saying you don't like money.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:12 PM

I gotta disagree a little with the "if you can't throw dice at this limit, don't play it" philosophy. I know LOTS of people who absolutely hate to have a couple maniacs at the table. They just do not want to deal with $40 pre-flop raises in NL1/2 or $300 shoves after the flop over and over. That's completely understandable--the variance in that sorta game is huge as you're often pushing with 60:40 sorta edges. That's the kinda thing that can eat a bankroll. So I do completely understand people who aren't happy in those games.

I love 'em. I hunt for them. I don't want to play 10 hours a day like that 'cause raise+shove poker isn't all that much fun in my book after a few hours--it gets pretty old and I want to get back to playing normalish sorta games. But a few hours a couple times a week is groovy.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta disagree a little with the "if you can't throw dice at this limit, don't play it" philosophy. I know LOTS of people who absolutely hate to have a couple maniacs at the table. They just do not want to deal with $40 pre-flop raises in NL1/2 or $300 shoves after the flop over and over. That's completely understandable--the variance in that sorta game is huge as you're often pushing with 60:40 sorta edges. That's the kinda thing that can eat a bankroll. So I do completely understand people who aren't happy in those games.

I love 'em. I hunt for them. I don't want to play 10 hours a day like that 'cause raise+shove poker isn't all that much fun in my book after a few hours--it gets pretty old and I want to get back to playing normalish sorta games. But a few hours a couple times a week is groovy.

[/ QUOTE ]

the OP wasn't talking about maniacal play, he was talking about loose play. 5 way pots, guys calling down with nothing and sucking out to make huge wins. I love that type player, I would never ever dream of complaining [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for how weird the games may be, they had a 200-400 badugi game running at the Rio yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

badugi is the new roshambo.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like normal games - I hate "normal" games. I like games where many are making mistakes all the time. I dont like players who fold suited hands to my 4x raise, I like players who reraise with garbage all day long.

Now that is groovy and I like groovy in large chunks.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As for how weird the games may be, they had a 200-400 badugi game running at the Rio yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

badugi is the new roshambo.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

was thinking about you last weekend, I shot my first gun with Mat. You gotta head to the hills with him while your in Vegas, its an experiance you cannot miss!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 PM

Actually if all the other 2+2ers would like to stay away and leave me to suffer the awful variance of playing at the Rio, that's ok. I'll "take one for the team" guys! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edit: Just after I clicked post I remembered, there is a grumpy old fart in seat #3 at the Venetian and he'd love to have you at his table. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]