Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: oop w/ ace hi

[ QUOTE ]
Definitly not c/c. ..

I expect you to fold out AT-AQ.. so i'd bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to understand better why it's not c/c. Isn't folding out AT-AQ balanced by the possibility of inducing a bluff?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:54 AM

have you successfully escaped the pokerstars doomswitch?

I think it is a very thin vb and I really want to call if he raises. I just don't believe that he has a K here.

he'd raise you on the flop or turn with a pair, he'd cap AK preflop, and he should be folding the turn with all unpaired KX hands.

I think one of my problems though is that I tend to assume people with reasonably good stats play poker like I do.

his hand really looks like an ace, and there are more aces that you beat than aces that beat you.

edit: forgot KcXc. I think this kind of player usually raises that on the flop or turn as a semibluff though. maybe not if he isn't a spewmonkey and figures most of your range is showing down on this board. bah I still want to call that river raise vs this guy but it may be a spew.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitly not c/c. ..

I expect you to fold out AT-AQ.. so i'd bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to understand better why it's not c/c. Isn't folding out AT-AQ balanced by the possibility of inducing a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bahhhh just posted a really long clear post explaining this , but something happened scrweing my mouse up which changed the page on me, deleting it all...

Summarizing:

Because we know what the rational/common play here for someone who is trying to maximize their value, and recognize that their stats are close to a player who plays this style (a little overagro though).

Most thinking players raise pairs or flush draws befor the river on this board, as well as fold hands like KJ or QJ. Since there are no draws on the board that would just call two bets, their range is heavily skewed towards showdown type hands. Since most pairs are raise and kings are folded, it leaves mostly ace high type hands.

However, many players will just call down with a pair on this board. Possibly call down and bet the river if checked to.

Marginal showdown hands will typically check behind (because it's correct), while hands that beat you will probabily bet.

Therefore, I dont think you are good 1 times in 8 when they bet.

I also explained for a couple paragraphs why in general I would rather not semi-bluff with a flush draw on this board, but I don't have the patience to type it out again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 07:25 PM

I checkfold here. I don't see him folding enough hands to make a bet worthwhile.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Bahhhh just posted a really long clear post explaining this , but something happened scrweing my mouse up which changed the page on me, deleting it all...

Summarizing:

Because we know what the rational/common play here for someone who is trying to maximize their value, and recognize that their stats are close to a player who plays this style (a little overagro though).

Most thinking players raise pairs or flush draws befor the river on this board, as well as fold hands like KJ or QJ. Since there are no draws on the board that would just call two bets, their range is heavily skewed towards showdown type hands. Since most pairs are raise and kings are folded, it leaves mostly ace high type hands.

However, many players will just call down with a pair on this board. Possibly call down and bet the river if checked to.

Marginal showdown hands will typically check behind (because it's correct), while hands that beat you will probabily bet.

Therefore, I dont think you are good 1 times in 8 when they bet.

I also explained for a couple paragraphs why in general I would rather not semi-bluff with a flush draw on this board, but I don't have the patience to type it out again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the summary was easily response enough so thanks for taking the trouble to type any of it a second time.