Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: 20/40 turn decision with top pair

I would raise this just about every time preflop. The only exception I can think of would be if one of the limpers is prone to limp/raising.

Flop: Considering that you checked preflop, I prefer checking here. Even though you have top pair your hand isn't all that hot. There are a ton of draws out there and the pot is big enough that a bet won't protect your hand. If you check and the bet comes from your right, then you can raise and make life hard for hands like gutshots, bottom pair, etc.. If the bet comes from your left & everyone calls you can just call, with the intention of leading out on the turn if a blank falls.

Just my opinion...
Old 06-22-2006, 04:27 PM

thats a miserable turn card.

whats his range here?

also.. i pretty much never raise out of the BB here, it does nothing for you here accept invest more into a field that you dont have position on.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM

don't raise preflop, you are out of position and there are a lot of opponents. fyi - there are times to raise with QJs out of position vs many opponents, but since you asked, for now don't raise with this hand.

the turn is a fold, he has raised you twice, he could easily have you drawing dead. you are losing to a flush, set, 2 pair, Q with a bigger kicker. unless the opponent is nuts he has told you twice that you are beat, fold.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:01 AM

I folded, I couldn't give him AQ or KQ as he would of probably raised that preflop. He either had a set or a flush, the only thing that he may of had that I beat is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]or[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]: or a Q with the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but I figured he would just call with those hands since I have showed that I obviously like my hand.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he gives me any kind of hyper agression, or a bluffing tell I raise back. If I see calm agression, or an "I like the turn tell" I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you please teach me this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay attetion to betting patterns and also, read Mike Caro's Book of Tells.

In general, fast betting where the chips are thrown in the pot is weak and slower betting with chips placed in the pot is srtong. Also, don't discount your general life experience. Many players are happy when the have a good hand and nervous when they don't - we can all see that.

Haven't you ever seen someone join the game and known they were a fish before seeing one hand played?

Be warned however, most experienced players control many of these tells and will sometimes reverse, or mask them. So, get a general read on the knowledge/skill level first.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:02 AM

tommy could find something haha :-)