Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Getting fired

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of people get fired.

I got fired from a job as well and don't think it was a big deal. Personality conflict possibly similar to yours.

Although my employer fired about half of our office (pretty much 1 at a time) so I was in pretty good company.

I disagree with those who imply that the OP must have done something wrong with regards to getting along with his boss.
Perhaps he could have done better somewhere in there of course.
But some bosses are just on super-ego trips and practically enjoy firing people whom they decide they don't like.

If you're good at what you do and have the skills and personality to back it up then just go get another job.
Somebody out there will be willing to give you another chance.

[/ QUOTE ]You are right. However, when you get fired it is time to take a look and see if you could have done things differently. If the boss was such a nut that this outcome was inevitable then the op should have already had an exit strategy.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:17 PM

How often is HR actually going to vote against one of their bosses in a wrongful termination which exposes the company to liability?

Isn't part of HRs duty to shield the company from liability?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't part of HRs duty to shield the company from liability?

[/ QUOTE ]No. Thier job is to provide no value to anything while simultaniously slowing down a company's ability to operate.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM

Later in your career this might be a bigger issue. But for you, as a recent graduate, why don't you just forget that job ever happened? Tell employers that it was really important for you to take time off after college before you entered the working world. They'll ask what you did, and just feed them some BS like "I helped take care of my Grandpa, who recently started suffering from alzheimers, and I took a couple trips with my friends."

Then they'll see your GPA and say, "yeah, well, with how hard you worked I can see why you wanted a break. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. blah blah."
Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell employers that it was really important for you to take time off after college before you entered the working world. They'll ask what you did, and just feed them some BS like "I helped take care of my Grandpa, who recently started suffering from alzheimers, and I took a couple trips with my friends."

Then they'll see your GPA and say, "yeah, well, with how hard you worked I can see why you wanted a break. I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. blah blah."

[/ QUOTE ]

And if they perform a background check?
Old 06-24-2006, 12:29 AM

Become a smuggler - its a life of adventure