Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Super Tues AK v. Premier

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think in order to raise to 3k in this tournament from that position with AK, you have to be willing to also make this raise with a BelowAb0ve-like range of holdings. Otherwise your raise size is mega-exploitable.

I'm not "that guy" so I shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your UTG range here is something like AJ+, 99+ I really don't see how it's that exploitable. Premier's range here is going to be a lot of pairs and maybe AT-AQ and KQ. Checking behind is not good on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you shove the flop, or bet $4-5K (obv pot committed to call a re-raise)? Sometimes I bet the latter here because it might look stronger than a shove. OTOH, if I really do have an overpair, I'll (sometimes) shove, hoping to represent AK and get a call from 99-TT.

Basically, I'm never quite sure in this spot whether to shove or make an obviously pot-committed bet for 3/4 of the pot. (Assuming I don't check behind.)
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike winning money

I check behind now

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously this much of a clown?

So your logic implies:

I don't like money because I dislike openshoving AK with 15+ BBs UTG.

If so, you're an idiot.

If you think I don't like money because I want to check behind flop, you're still an idiot.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, my name is DCJ311, and I do not make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM

Shoving is unexploitable, but it is not the most +EV play. Somebody might lay down AQ if you shove, but you want AQ to call you.

Premier is too short to be calling with marginals like 98s. And I'm guessing he would've 3 bet you with a high pocket pair. So I like a bet/fold in this situation.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM

I don't think I shove but raising to 3k is terrible. Once you get to the flop you need to bet call because premier has such a huge range for calling out of the blinds. He;s getting like 4:1 to call because your raise is so small he's probably calling like 30-40%.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I shove but raising to 3k is terrible. Once you get to the flop you need to bet call because premier has such a huge range for calling out of the blinds. He;s getting like 4:1 to call because your raise is so small he's probably calling like 30-40%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that he is calling a huge range. They are not deep at all here. Premier is generally on the tighter side as well.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree that he is calling a huge range. They are not deep at all here. Premier is generally on the tighter side as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with most of this
Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I shove but raising to 3k is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very constructive. What do you propose?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think shoving more than 15bbs here is exploitable if they are intelligent enough to know I'm shoving with 15xBB but not with 17xBB or more. Shoving makes my hand pretty transparent if my opponents are all very good at poker and have all played tons of hands with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't ever shove TT-KK here frequently then shoving is still unlikely to be exploitable. Otherwise it's a no-brainer. By raising 2.5x the BB you're inviting an idiot to shove on you with some pair or call with some QJs type hand and wait for you to commit yourself on the flop or pull a stop and go. There are a lot of people in this thread who conveniently ignore a lot of the negatives of making a normal raise here.