Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 10:57 AM

Default What are your favorite XM Satellite Radio channels?

Music:

- All of the decades channels, especially during when they do IT, which basically is a month-long chronological playing, starting with January 1930, of every Top 40 song in XM's library (which from the rock era on means pretty much every Top 40 pop song in history).

- Fred (classic alternative rock - things like Fixx album tracks from the 80s, old Smiths, that sort of thing)

- XM Chill: ambient chill music great for driving. Also surprisingly good for long nighttime drives is Willie's Place, the honkytonk/outlaw country channel.

-The Rhyme: classic hip-hop, something you don't hear very much on commercial radio anymore.

Surprisingly considering my musical background, I'm kind of meh about XM Liquid Metal, which has a little too much of the cookie-monster stuff and not enough of the Slayer, Godflesh, etc. for my taste, and Fungus (the punk-ska channel), which tends to be a bit too commercial, and really doesn't play a heck of a lot of ska. They're both OK, though, just not what I expected.

NEWS AND TALK

-BBC World Service: maybe my favorite channel on the entire XM service. Absolutely outstanding. I tune in at least an hour every day.

- NHL Home Ice: the only 24-hour hockey talk channel. Caveat: it really sucks and gets repetitive during the offseason, though.

- MLB Home Plate: not as good as Home Ice during the season, but much better in the offseason. Also, XM has -exclusive- satellite rights to Major League Baseball, so they broadcast a feed of -every- game, where at least until they go exclusive next year you can't get every NHL game on XM (yet). Since baseball is the only sport that really works well on the radio, XM was smart in tying up the MLB rights.

- The Virus 202. I -like- Opie and Anthony. My major problem with them is that the guy who really makes the show for me, the real talent on the show, is not named Opie or Anthony, he's named Little Jimmy Norton. The -real- reason I like this channel is the Ron and Fez show, which takes longer to get into, but is a much more subtle, nuanced, and I think funnier show than O&A. Ron Bennington is a comic genius, and the chemistry between Ron and Fez is the best I've ever heard from a radio duo.

--Scott
Old 12-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: What are your favorite XM Satellite Radio channels?

The System - I like Electronica, and I don't know other mainstream sources to hear it and find artists I like
Old 12-23-2006, 11:31 AM

Definetly O & A. In fact I actually don't listen to anything else. I don't mind ron and fez but sometimes thier show is slow.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 AM

Squizz 48
Old 12-23-2006, 01:34 PM

The presets:

franks place, bluesville, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, top 20, and ther eis one more but I cant remember, I also like the heat, and the city.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:51 PM

I got XM for the music channels, but it didn't take long before my dial was stuck on The Virus (202) and ESPNRadio (140). I also listen to the occasional college football or MLB game, when applicable. But the music channels are a major disappointment, especially The Rhyme (65) with its non-stop remixes of terrible songs. This is probably more of a taste thing, because if I were interested in other genres besides Indie and Old School hip-hop, I'd probably find something I liked more consistently. Still, O&A/Ron & Fez make it worth the expense to me.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:54 PM

whats the virus? its not a tech talk channel is it? thats one thing I coulndt find on xm.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:00 PM

Ethel
Lucy
Real Jazz
Air America
Talk Radio/Ask
XMPR (I wish they had actual NPR)
The Rhyme
Old 12-23-2006, 03:08 PM

Deep Tracks, Beyond Jazz, America, RAW 66 and Fine Tuning to name a few.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the virus? its not a tech talk channel is it? thats one thing I coulndt find on xm.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, it's the Opie & Anthony / Ron & Fez channel. Previously known as High Voltage.