Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Dell 2007FP Flickering, switched montiors and problem still exists

Hi everyone,

Woke up today, restarted my computer, began to play poker. Now my right monitor (a dell 2007 FP) is flickering like crazy, while the left (also a dell 2007 FP) is fine.

Both are hooked up using DVI, set to 1600x1200 and at a 60HZ refresh rate.

I am using this computer (about a week old.) There have been no problems with it before today.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddet...amp;catid=10607

The first thing I did was check the cables, and they seemed to be connected properly.

Then I searched on the dell tech support. Apart from getting a new graphics card (I am looking for an immediate/short term fix) I saw suggestions to change the 'image mode' on the monitor from 'gaming' to 'desktop' .... It was already on 'desktop'

I took a look on this forum, and saw a similar thread from yesterday where a guys 24 inch was flickering different colors. He switched monitors and stopped having the problem. I tried the same, switching the flickering monitor for another 2007Fp that I have, and the problem still existed. Only now, the monitor was flicker free on the top half of the screen, and flickering on the bottom half. This monitor was working fine on the previous system it was hooked up to.

Then I saw a suggestion to change the 'refresh rate' - but vista gave me a warning that changing this rate might damage my hardware, and to check my monitors specs.

So I went to the dell website and they no longer have the 2007FP listed, just the WFP. I want to make sure I wont do any damage if the refresh rate is changed, or if I should try something else.

Thanks in advance for all of your help
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Dell 2007FP Flickering, switched montiors and problem still exists

I just hooked the monitor that was originally flickering up to another PC, and it is working fine. So is this a settings issue with the new pc/vista? Or is it a hardware issue with the new computer?

Should I return the computer (linked above from futureshop) and g et a different (perhaps custom built) pc somewhere to avoid this problem?

The last PC I had was custom built, and I have had no problems with it, but I wanted to upgrade to 3 GB ram and the quad core processor, and my builder was on 3 weeks of holidays (left the day before I decided to buy a new pc, and I was impatient)
Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 PM

With the testing you did, you ruled out the monitor as the problem, so that leaves the video card. It could possibly be a driver gone bad, and you could try and reinstalling drivers for the monitor and video card. If you have no luck with drivers, you should be able to get the video card replaced for nothing since its a new rig. Just contact futureshop to get that worked out.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 PM

Faulty Video Card.

Funny thing I actually had the same problem with an ATI HD 2600 Pro this summer.

When I read your problem before clicking on the link I was like that sounds familiar. Same card, same problem.

Mine was an MSI branded card, after reinstalling OS, new drivers, writing to MSI they responded it was simply a faulty card.

Returned it and went with an NVIDIA Geforce 8600 in that system.

A shame because I actually think the features on the card, hdmi etc that usually only appear on expensive cards (which are completely overkill for non-gamers) were nice.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 AM

Try switching the cables with the other monitor. I had this problem with an old monitor a few years ago and it turns out the power cable was faulty... the problem specifically was that sometimes the monitor wouldn't display red, sometimes not even green and red. I was surprised a messed up power cable could affect that.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 AM

Hi guys,

A bit of an update. I found a dell forum where people were talking about this problem, something where a website that had a gray background caused the monitor to flicker:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforu...ding&page=4

So I changed the background on my pc. I was previously using a jpeg picture file that had alot of grey in it, and switched it to just a solid color. This caused the flicker to stop for a few minutes, and then it resumed, this time only flickering on the bottom 50% of the secondary (right hand) monitor. When I finished poker f or the day, I shut down pokerace HUD, and noticed the flickering stopped. Then I opened an internet browser, and the flickering resumed any time I would use the scroll wheel.

Spart man - Im not really sure how to go about uninstalling/reinstalling drivers.

Using the futureshop link for my computer (1st post) I saw that the video card my comptuer has is :
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro. So I went to the ATI website, found this page:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd...pro/index.html

From there, I found the 'Drivers and Software' page

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Which directed me to this page when I input the proper OS/Videocard specs, taking me here:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...common-vista32

So do I just install that stuff? ^^^^

For the dell monitor drivers, I went to dell.com and searched monitor driver 2007FP, here is where I ended up:

http://support.us.dell.com/support/downl...p;fileid=190651

So are these the right things to install? How do I know what to uninstall?

Thanks for your help guys.

Dmoogle: When you say switching the cables: I have 4 2007FPs (two for each desktop)

For the new PC that is giving me this problem, one monitor is using the white DVI cable (this one is giving me the problem) The other monitor is using a blue vga cable, with an adaptor that it plugs into, which plugs into the PC's DVI slot. Are you suggesting I switch up the power cords (swapping the ones Im using with my old pc monitors, to the ones im using with my new pc monitors) or that I switch up the VGA/DVI cables?

Many thanks
Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 AM

Try both.