Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-24-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Kindle (question for Mason)

Call me old-fashioned. I still want to own a library (a few thousand books) with an actual book-shelf. The books sitting there have a physical presence, and a reminder to re-read and share. That will not be possible with an e-book. Yes, you may have 100 "books" but you and only you can read it, and no one else will be able to borrow it or look through it at their own leisure.

[ QUOTE ]
reduced production costs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Although reduced as in less paper and not having to pay free-lance artists, there will be an increase in marketing, research, and reformatting old books to fit this new device. It will be way more expensive than you foresee. It is not the physical as much as the mental work that will show an increase. You also cannot hire an illiterate monkey to retype and reformat all the books out there for minimum wages either.

[ QUOTE ]
more profit for the publisher

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. People are not going to pay $30 for a book after they pay for these machines. People will pay $19 for a CD but pay $10 for an MP3 album. Why would the average consumer be willing to pay full price for a file?

[ QUOTE ]
greater market share

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. People are going to buy books weather it is book or file format. Books aren't going to one day become uber-popular because they are more convenient to obtain. The files work for music because people did not want to pay full price for a CD containing 8 songs they didn't want to hear. It was buying the single that became popular. You can't buy chapter 10 and enjoy a book.

[ QUOTE ]
easier to update and correct

[/ QUOTE ]

As in rewriting the story? Many authors are fine to write the next book and let the past be the past if it already published.

[ QUOTE ]
quicker to market

[/ QUOTE ]

This would destroy the book business. A best seller only sells about 100k copies over it's lifetime. With all the noise even now, it is hard to garner any attention to the marketed books. An author still has to go to book signings and talk to promote a book. Unless the author is popular, the first few books of any author takes months, if not years to promote a book profitably.

[ QUOTE ]
reach younger audience

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters here. The audience is there and not expandable. Certain people like to read, and certain others don't. How would you change that?

[ QUOTE ]
interactive features (quizes, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I would die if I couldn't play video slots on my cell phone.

[ QUOTE ]
can display larger characters for visually disabled

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. It is probably the best benefit to these books.

[ QUOTE ]
multimedia features (video clips, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

We see how well the iPhone is doing. This is an interesting assertion, though, and I wonder what our world will be up to in a decade. I hope to have a piece of whatever it is.

[ QUOTE ]
easy to store (for those of us with overflowing bookshelves)

[/ QUOTE ]

I stated above why I would like a library.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still want to own a library (a few thousand books) with an actual book-shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think anyone is suggesting that 2+2 stop publishing paper versions.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reduced production costs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Although reduced as in less paper and not having to pay free-lance artists, there will be an increase in marketing, research, and reformatting old books to fit this new device.

[/ QUOTE ]

less production cost per ebook versus the production cost per paper book. of course total production costs will go up if you publish both varieties, but the average cost will go down.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
more profit for the publisher

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. People are not going to pay $30 for a book after they pay for these machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course they won't pay $30 for ebooks. but because it costs less to produce the average ebook, 2+2 can lower the price considerably. the end result is a lower price for ebook customers and greater profits for 2+2. win-win.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greater market share

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. People are going to buy books weather it is book or file format.

[/ QUOTE ]

fewer and fewer young people are buying printed books. more and more young people are into electronic everything. if you don't put out ebooks, you'll reach a smaller share of the poker playing public.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
easier to update and correct

[/ QUOTE ]

As in rewriting the story?

[/ QUOTE ]

As in correcting errors and updating the material.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quicker to market

[/ QUOTE ]

This would destroy the book business.

[/ QUOTE ]

ebooks are coming whether or not 2+2 gets involved. if their popularity destroys the printed book business, then that is a good reason to get involved in the ebook business.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
reach younger audience

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it matters here. The audience is there and not expandable. Certain people like to read, and certain others don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

certain people like to read printed books and certain people prefer ebooks. most younger people prefer ebooks.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:15 PM

If you are going to dispute my arguments, please argue against my entire thought processes and not pick out small details. I am not an expert on book-publishing, but I think I know a little more than you. I even give knowledge and you ignore it.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 PM

As a voracious reader with limited space (I sold off about twelve boxes of books recently), the idea of being able to "hold" so many books in the kindle does appeal to me, but any e-reader needs to be able to do what a good book does and that is make me lose myself in the experience. According to some reviews, the kindle does this.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most younger people prefer ebooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The publishing industry has a lot of research that says otherwise. Please do not make statements like this without backing it up with proof. I spent the past 7 years of my life as a publisher, I can assure you the industry isn't fully embracing this new technology - yet (consult with the MPA for more details). We know this is the eventual destination, but we wont begin to see acceptance until flexible e-paper is released (estimated 2010ish - please read the Kimble thread in OOT for more details).
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 AM

Hi Doc:

I know nothing about Kindle and would have to learn a great deal about the whole operation before we would consider something like it.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Doc:

I know nothing about Kindle and would have to learn a great deal about the whole operation before we would consider something like it.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

*sending Mason my November 26th issue of Newsweek*