Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: The Trip-Hop/Chill/Dream Pop thread

Eh, you really want to get old school, get yo bad self on back to Art of Noise
Old 11-13-2007, 03:33 AM

Good God, is Everything But The Girl still around? A girlfriend I had in the 80's was into them, the lyrics were in French if I remember correctly.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 AM

Air

This is a French duo who create lush sound scapes mostly via Moog synthesizers, Wurlitzer organs and vocoders - which makes it surprisingly easy to replicate their sound live.

They have quite a few albums but everyone would agree you should start with the now classic, Moon Safari:

Quite a few of these songs have been used in film, TV and ads...so I'm sure you've heard at least a couple of these:

All I Need (warning - bad fan video!)

La Femme d'Argent

Sexy Boy

Kelly Watch The Stars

Their most popular song is probably the Theme from the movie The Virgin Suicides:

Playground Love

Great band, fantastic live, too...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Junior Boys.

A solid sound-scape that can't be danced to, but works great for the drive home. I don't know their best album, just posted a picture because it seemed like I should.

Ratatat

They mix synth with real electric guitars.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM

Morcheeba

mixing World Music with trip-hoppy beats, Morcheeba has been making great music for over ten years. Their best-known albums are probably:

and

They had a world-wide hit with this song:

Rome Wasn't Built in a Day

Other great songs:

The Sea

Otherwise

Undress Me Now

Morcheeba has been a trio up until their latest album, Diver Down, where vocalist Skye Edwards was replaced by numerous other vocalists. It's a change, as the band's sound was closely linked to Edwards, clean, clear singing. I haven't listened to the new album yet, so if anyone has a review, put it here!
Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 PM

OK, some takes on some of the songs in here so far.

Massive Attack -- Their music seems like a good example of the genre, but it doesn't really make me want to move. In contrast to, say, Portishead's Glory Box, which features a lot of build up and release, their music stays pretty cool and flat. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I'm looking for here.

Portishead -- Glory Box is the main reason why I'm in this thread. Love that song. I hadn't really listened to much of their other stuff, though. Roads was pretty decent. Sour Times I wasn't really familiar with, but I think I might have heard it somewhere. I can't place it, though. That was my second favorite of Dom's links, although its tempo was a little too quick for me to want to spin it at a dance or something.

Hooverphonic -- I liked 2Wicky. It doesn't quite grip me like Glory Box, but it's good. I'll consider buying that one. The other track didn't interest me as much for the same reasons as the stuff from Massive Attack.

Zero 7 -- I've heard In the Waiting Line before, and it's pretty good. This is another one I might consider picking up. Home was interesting, but not as much music that'd get me dancing.

Air -- Playground Love was interesting, but most of their music is again not quite what I'm looking for.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM

To be honest, Wookie, everyone I posted has stuff on youtube. I could post links to the good stuff if you like, but nothing is danceable. I like listening to trance and goth. It is good to chill out to, not groove to.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, Wookie, everyone I posted has stuff on youtube. I could post links to the good stuff if you like, but nothing is danceable. I like listening to trance and goth. It is good to chill out to, not groove to.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I may have mis-typed by saying it's "danceable." Some is, most is not...it's Chill-out music.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 AM

I didn't necessarily come in here looking for dance music strictly because of your words, Dom. I've heard stuff that people described as "trip-hop" that really was dance music, including Glory Box, and other songs I never got the names or artists of. It didn't take me long to figure out that the gist of the bulk of this genre wasn't anywhere close to dance, but I figured I'd mine for a few more songs that I liked. I'm reporting back because in many music threads, it seems like no one actually checks out an artist they didn't know and then reports back. I really like to hear it if someone listened to someone new based on my recommendation and then reports back that they like that artist. Even if they didn't like the artist, hey, at least they took the time to listen, you know? You guys have put a lot of effort into these recent music threads, and I figured I'd be at least one guy who takes the time to listen to the music and let you know what I think.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't necessarily come in here looking for dance music strictly because of your words, Dom. I've heard stuff that people described as "trip-hop" that really was dance music, including Glory Box, and other songs I never got the names or artists of. It didn't take me long to figure out that the gist of the bulk of this genre wasn't anywhere close to dance, but I figured I'd mine for a few more songs that I liked. I'm reporting back because in many music threads, it seems like no one actually checks out an artist they didn't know and then reports back. I really like to hear it if someone listened to someone new based on my recommendation and then reports back that they like that artist. Even if they didn't like the artist, hey, at least they took the time to listen, you know? You guys have put a lot of effort into these recent music threads, and I figured I'd be at least one guy who takes the time to listen to the music and let you know what I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool deal! It's always great when someone reports back...what did you think of PJ Harvey in the singer/sognwriter thread?