Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Sen. Feinstein Letter

When I was younger, and there was a real working difference between the 2 parties, I used to move my votes back and forth, voting republican when I cared more about my wallet's freedom, and voting democrat when I cared more about my personal freedom, and voting libertarian when the choices were equally bad.

Now, the GWB administration has so fouled up our constitutional tradition, and made the Republicans the party that terrifies both my wallet and my person, I feel I have to vote for some Democrat just to insure even a mild slowing of the nation's decline. But I will not feel happy about it.

Skallagrim
Old 11-05-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
F- is too nice, we should have a lower category. How about ISI? "Infernal Stalinist Idiot" (Although probably Milton and I are the only ones to truly appreciate the reference).

This Senator is the epitome of everything wrong with the Democratic party. I wouldn't even consider voting Democratic right now except, to my horror, the Republicans are actually worse!

Skallagrim

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we buy into the myth that those are your only two choices we'll keep getting screwed.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Skall, I'm not sure if Mrs. Clinton will slow up the decline or speed it up. She might speed up the economic decline, but slow up the loss of civil liberties. Sometimes I think it would be better if the decline in both speeds up. Then people might actually notice it and demand real change.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please know that I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind should legislation on Internet gambling be considered in the 110th Congress.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... now, where have I read this phrase before?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=0#Post12756800

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=0#Post12780008

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=1#Post12740883

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=2#Post12541244

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=2#Post12544398
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 AM

No big surprise. She's pretty much California's Joe Lieberman. Up with waterboarding, up with the flag-burning amendment, up with the UIGEA . . . yeah, she's a great 'liberal' to have on our side.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:47 AM

It's funny - I watched some of a documentary on HBO yesterday about the 2004 Democratic candidates on the primary campaign trail. In the film, Joe Lieberman (who I really want to like) bought lottery tickets and said he does so every day.

Maybe I should write to him, educate him about odds, and see if he still thinks the lottery is better than poker.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Skall, I'm not sure if Mrs. Clinton will slow up the decline or speed it up. She might speed up the economic decline, but slow up the loss of civil liberties. Sometimes I think it would be better if the decline in both speeds up. Then people might actually notice it and demand real change.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone with personal knowledge of how the Clinton crew ran the Executive Branch I can tell you they had very little regard for any statute that got in their way. Yep if you were in their favor you likely felt they were doing the right things. But our laws are their to protect everyone not those just currently in power.

Ms Rodahm would be a major mistake for the country. I'm not sure Ron Paul could do worse. At least Ron Paul isn't filled with the knowledge of how to completely trash any law that is bothersome to his beliefs. Most of his major "nut ball" plans would never make it to the Hill, let alone through it.

Hillary on the other hand with a compliant Congress would have more power than Bill ever did. Given Bill's trick of showing that all you need are 34 Senators to defend you to the last she might even have even less regard for the Courts than she already does.

Bill's the campainger, Hillary is the woman with the plans and a legislative mind and complete disregard for procedure that would even make LBJ blush.

D$D
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM

D$D, I completely agree with your assessment of Mrs. Clinton. But I note that Mr. Clinton had a Dem controlled Congress for 2 years and did nothing except some minor tax increases that may have been well timed.
Yes, Mrs. Clinton would be a mistake, especially on the security problems that the US faces. Except for security issues, I don't think that it will matter much who is elected President.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

When I read this kind of political diatribe, it really makes me give you less credit than I probably should for your substantive comments.