Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Medium Pairs and Marginal Broadway Hands - To Raise or Not to Rais

[ QUOTE ]

and on an aside...i will bet u $100 that i can produce at least 5 ppl by Sunday who are not losing money with their 22-88 from EP over 100K+ hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise 88 from any position ifact you should raise most PPs higher than 55s from almost any position! forget about k10o, only time you play that is when you trying to steal the blinds.... QJs/J10s is better to limp in EP, MP, raise in hijack/btn.

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

plz name 3 difference between 22-44, and 55-77

[/ QUOTE ]

66/77 is actually a hand,,
when you raise 22 in ep they dont put you on 22 they put u on a higher pair and will set hunt you and guess what if you are playing for stacks with a set of 2s what you think they have? with 66/77 there is a better chance you have the better set

you win little money when you hit your set, lose alot when they also hit, low PPs in 'EP' are losers/very marginal winners, in the 'long run' more than 100k hands

[/ QUOTE ]

at what level does 66/77 become "actually a hand"?

i dont 100% mean this to come out arguementative, and for all intensive purposes, its probably -EV for me to even have this conversation...but ur logic makes no sense. ur logic seems to account for the fact that 66/77 are actual hands, yet money only seems to go in when its set>set situations (thats the way ur wording makes ur thoughts appear). (also, out of curiosity...what % of the time u hit a set, do u think some1 has one as well. and better yet, a bigger one?)

the real reason u raise all pairs from all spots is for a few reasons. 1.) u take betting lead and iniative. 2.) because of this, ur CB will b more successful. 3.) when u hit a set, there is already money in the pot.

and on an aside...i will bet u $100 that i can produce at least 5 ppl by Sunday who are not losing money with their 22-88 from EP over 100K+ hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did say they could be marginal winners but it would take an acceptional palyer to make them marginal winners in EP, now in NL50 and lower well they will be obv. winners but when you get higher NL200 above (maybe NL100 I havent played it for a long time) people arent handing you money left and right without a hand, and they become very marginal...

lets put it this way when a 14/7 player raises UTG you dont call with AXo/K10 etc.... but do with all PPs! why? because you know he has a good hand. you might call with Axs QJs/J10s and other hands with HUGE potential for the same reason, now if you are utg and are raising 22/33 guess what the people in LP are calling with? thats if they know wth they are doing!

they might call with 10sJs flp comes 4s7d10d you bet, they are still not sure if you have a premium PP or AK/AQ and call turn is a blank where you most probably will ck, and river you might win with a big bet or dig your 22s in a bigger whole! and the latter will probably me true since you cked the turn and villan will call more often...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
now if you are utg and are raising 22/33 guess what the people in LP are calling with? thats if they know wth they are doing!

[/ QUOTE ]

first off...wth does this mean?

next, ur JT example where we raised 22 EP, ur better off taking a dub-barrel line rather than takin the donk-line (CB/c/bet). and being that most ppl understand that...they probably wont dig themselves into a "whole".

aaaaaaaaaaaand, at 100, ppl can still passive play their PPs pf and b more than marginal winners with them.

aaaaaaaaaaaand, if a person's range is super defined from their PF raising, then its technically profitable to play any 2 cards in position assuming 130bb+

also, what limit(s) do u play? just curious...
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 AM

NL200, dabble in higher games. but I guess we gona have to disagree on this strat...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM

i dont think ur discussin strat. ur just rambling without sayyin anything about anything
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM

There is also the intangible to account for in playing pp early. Even if they are marginal, the bump to your pfr might be enough for some players to more readily play back at EP raises from you as your range will be bigger.

Shania is a wonderful and terrible wife.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM

when in doubt, raise

<3 shania
Old 11-02-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-02-2007, 12:21 PM

People often don't take into account the fact that playing a hand a certain way affects the profitability of other hands by perhaps a greater margin than the hand itself.

Yes, to cite the most common example, maybe with your image, raising 22 in EP is -EV for you, but if you continuously do it, your big EP hands get more action. And if it works with your style, the +EV of the other hands compensates for the -EV of the 22, etc.

Regardless, blanket statements of you "should" do this or that are always wrong. The profitability of playing one way or the other is wholly dependent on your image, the table, and *how you play the rest of your range*. Arguing about one variable in a multi-variable situation isn't the most worthwhile exercise. Just keep this in mind: There is no 100% perfect NLH strategy, unless everyone at the table is using it (in which case you're stupid for playing poker at a raked table). So, please be more restrained in saying concrete statements like 'doing X is always bad/good'.

Unfortunately, this is one of those irritating poker questions that will show up continuously, and have the same cookie-cutter responses.